BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E90 320i differential

713 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RescueDiver 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Rebuilt the n43 engine in my 320i last year, 1 year on and all still good, got some good help on this forum- thanks !
Finally traced a grinding noise to being the rear diff.
Anyone got any suggestions on best place to get a bearing kit, I’m in the uk.
Also how to identify the diff without taking it off, need it drivable until I have the bearings ready to go.
Many thanks

#2 ·
Went through this last year with my old 330d, I would hazard a guess yours is small case diff but it’s easier and cheaper to source a used one.
The output side ones are shimmed with different size snap rings. Input requires pre load setting correctly with a new crush sleeve. It’s not just a case of firing new bearings in.

go on realoem to get kart number for diff and search the fleabay for one,alternatively on top of diff there will be a sticker with part number and ratio on it

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I’ve got hold of the sticker today so now have a part number. Cheapest 2nd hander I can see is £350 ish 😩, after chucking £2k ish at the engine last year I could do with this fix being cheaper.
Think the bearing kit is about £180 so still tempted to have a go, anyone else here diy’d a diff ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.