BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has come to my attention that a number of E90 N47s are loosing boost. On many occasions it is the actuator control arm on the turbocharger which siezes. This requires a repair kit with a new rod. However on newer engines i have noticed on numerous occasions that the actuator control arm has come away completely, simply due to a faulty C-Clip coming away.

To diagnose this all you need is a torch. Firstly locate the turbocharger which will be on the drivers side (RHD vehicles). As you look between the wing and the engine block you will see the exhaust manifold, attached to which is the turbo. Now at the moment i am struggling for a photo or diagram to show the exact position of this arm, but its pretty easy to spot. Firstly find the actuator which looks something like this..

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog Images/Wastegate/ATP-WGT-028_450.jpg

In this photo you see the control arm to the right. Once you have found this, make sure it is attached to something. If not then thats your cause for loss of boost.

To make the repair you need to slip it back over the lug and attach a new c clip like the one on the far right of this photo

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/ChainPhotos/SnapRingEclip.jpg

A box of different sizes can be easily purchased from any motor spares shop.

Problem solved hopefully. I will try and get better photos and diagrams later.

Note, this fault doesnt bring up a warning light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you post more information, i.e. step by step guide/pictures please? This will enable your post to remain in the 'How to' section :thumbsup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i will try my best when i get a bit of spare time, i wont be able to manage photos though, cant see work being too happy about me snapping away under customers bonnets in work hours

if that means it must be moved in the mean time, please do so

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll wait for you to add more infromation bimmer_techy :thumbsup. If you don't want to take pictures, then perhaps you can make some reference from THIS as the parts are easily identifiable :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ive had a quick look at the pictures i found on both the inlet and exhaust manifolds are dont really show the rod, as it shows the wrong side of the turbocharger. Ill edit my original post now though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my e90 320 d m sport has lost its boost and the actuator is clicking . i have been told the turbo has gone . the car has 56 k on the clock with full history , there is no smoke from the car and it has no noise from the turbo other than a faint whistle when turbo kicks in around 2500

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
i have been told the turbo has gone . the car has 56 k on the clock with full history , there is no smoke from the car and it has no noise from the turbo other than a faint whistle when turbo kicks in around 2500
Sounds like you turbo is fine, you should need to check the actuator is operating the turbo as described above and get the fault codes read, most boost issues tend to be caused by sensor faults and not a malfunctioning turbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts