BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
BMW TECHNICIAN 07814608685 CAMBRIDGESHIRE UK
26 Posts
BMW FRM AND DPF BEST BRINGING MONEY TOOLS. CONNECT PC DELETE DANETTE. DPF HAVE SERVICE DATE NEED CHANGE. NO LIMP MODE. IF IS GOOD RUNNING ALL OK.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So I checked again today as I did mention that the garage I went to erased the error codes and sure enough it was back showing glow plugs 1,2 and 3. So whatever else it does seem that they will need changing. I've already ordered them and I'm awaiting delivery

·
Registered
464 Posts
So I checked again today as I did mention that the garage I went to erased the error codes and sure enough it was back showing glow plugs 1,2 and 3. So whatever else it does seem that they will need changing. I've already ordered them and I'm awaiting delivery
Hi mate,

Go out and disconnect the MAF sensor and drive the car, it will take like 20 seconds to do and see if all problems go.

Assuming that fails can you get a picture inside your EGR.

Do you have a cable mate? If not try and get one, K+DCAN off eBay is usually okay, it's where I got mine but a more reliable seller would be from the website bimmergeeks.

The chap remmi it think it was was saying that not all problems may show as a stored code, what he then listed was live values which can be read from the car using INPA.

there's a page for expected vs actual values, this page quite simple states "this is theoretically what the car should be running at, and the values on the right are what you actually have"

There's also values for the injectors, ideally you want them all to be around the middle. As long as they aren't in the red they should be okay

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi mate,

Go out and disconnect the MAF sensor and drive the car, it will take like 20 seconds to do and see if all problems go.

Assuming that fails can you get a picture inside your EGR.

Do you have a cable mate? If not try and get one, K+DCAN off eBay is usually okay, it's where I got mine but a more reliable seller would be from the website bimmergeeks.

The chap remmi it think it was was saying that not all problems may show as a stored code, what he then listed was live values which can be read from the car using INPA.

there's a page for expected vs actual values, this page quite simple states "this is theoretically what the car should be running at, and the values on the right are what you actually have"

There's also values for the injectors, ideally you want them all to be around the middle. As long as they aren't in the red they should be okay

Thanks for that mate. I am a bit lost on the technical side of things as to what to check and/or measure.

What I have done is diagnostics which came up glow plugs 1,2 and 3 and I got codes for the 'smooth running controllers' 4B10 and 4B11. I received the plugs and the GSE101 glow plug control unit I ordered this morning and have taken them to a garage to be fitted. Drove back home. The car does seem to run a bit smoother but I know it's way toio early to tell if all related problems have gone away.

From what I've read, if it's not to do with the glow plugs (which needed changing anyway) the most likely culprit will be to do with the injectors, which aren't exactly cheap. Ler's see

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for that mate. I am a bit lost on the technical side of things as to what to check and/or measure.

What I have done is diagnostics which came up glow plugs 1,2 and 3 and I got codes for the 'smooth running controllers' 4B10 and 4B11. I received the plugs and the GSE101 glow plug control unit I ordered this morning and have taken them to a garage to be fitted. Drove back home. The car does seem to run a bit smoother but I know it's way toio early to tell if all related problems have gone away.

From what I've read, if it's not to do with the glow plugs (which needed changing anyway) the most likely culprit will be to do with the injectors, which aren't exactly cheap. Ler's see
Do a quick Google image search for "e90 320d maf sensor" so you know what your looking for but you can quote literally open your bonnet, disconnect the MAF sensor connector and then drive your car with it unplugged, it really should take a matter of seconds, no tools or anything.

The reason I say to check is, if the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is faulty or the electrical probe is dirty your cars ECU will receive the wrong air readings and the air and fuel mixture will be incorrect which could create both smoke due to the incorrect ratio and also lack performance. If you are also wondering, when you disconnect the MAF your car will know that's its disconnected and then default to a pre defined set of values.. So it will assume at x RPM you should have roughly X amount of fuel... For some people they had better fuel economy running without a MAF connected because the faulty MAF can make the car run much worse

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you near pe28 post code bring car. I do diagnostic for free. Phone 07814608685

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Do a quick Google image search for "e90 320d maf sensor" so you know what your looking for but you can quote literally open your bonnet, disconnect the MAF sensor connector and then drive your car with it unplugged, it really should take a matter of seconds, no tools or anything.

The reason I say to check is, if the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is faulty or the electrical probe is dirty your cars ECU will receive the wrong air readings and the air and fuel mixture will be incorrect which could create both smoke due to the incorrect ratio and also lack performance. If you are also wondering, when you disconnect the MAF your car will know that's its disconnected and then default to a pre defined set of values.. So it will assume at x RPM you should have roughly X amount of fuel... For some people they had better fuel economy running without a MAF connected because the faulty MAF can make the car run much worse
Thanks I'll give it a try and see. Much appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm and dear no mechanic's 😂 all car possible check with simple tester. Next time when I go to Madrid pick up diagnostic to 😁 you forgetting about over faults. Turbo, timing chain, injectors, oil seal. My costumers read forum and thing know better. Is more difficult. Not working O2 sensor, show MAF sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hmm and dear no mechanic's 😂 all car possible check with simple tester. Next time when I go to Madrid pick up diagnostic to 😁 you forgetting about over faults. Turbo, timing chain, injectors, oil seal. My costumers read forum and thing know better. Is more difficult. Not working O2 sensor, show MAF sensor.
There's mechanics here, same as there. It's already been on diagnostics a few times I mentioned and I also mentioned the error codes that came up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only scoters, small workshop. Need see life data.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I would definitely try putting some diesel injector cleaner in the fuel tank and see if that works before anything else.

Madeleine x
Thanks Madeleine, that I have done. I think it's helped but I don't think that 's the cure. I've also fitted new glow plugs and controller. I'll see how it goes.

Do you think it's necessary to change diesel filter after using the diesel cleaner?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you think it's necessary to change diesel filter after using the diesel cleaner?
After a while running, see how it's going. Cleaner sometimes dislodges stuff from the tank and pipes, so change it within maybe two fuel tank fulls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sticky EGR's can cause performance issues. Mine was completely jammed with soot so I blanked it off.

As it doesn't have a DPF, it will smoke, but standard, not particularly much. Black = fuel.

INPA will quickly help you diagnose if you have an injector issue. It's quite easy to use too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sticky EGR's can cause performance issues. Mine was completely jammed with soot so I blanked it off.

As it doesn't have a DPF, it will smoke, but standard, not particularly much. Black = fuel.

INPA will quickly help you diagnose if you have an injector issue. It's quite easy to use too.
Thanks for that it's appreciated. Nothing is coming up about the injector in particular on the diagnostics

·
Registered
464 Posts
1 and 4 don't look great to be honest

I don't know if it will help but when I changed my valve cover and had to remove the injectors there was a lot of carbon build up on the tips as can be seen a little on my post (it was worse in person)

But I used injector cleaner and left the injectors in a bowl of that and then used a microfiber to get them cleaner as you have to be sooo careful not to mess the spray nozzles up. Though, an ultrasonic bath would have been much better but this was an unexpected thing I came across while doing the valve cover gasket

41 - 60 of 80 Posts