BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm newly registered though I have been lurking for a while now and usually find very helpful users on here. I need help PLEASE as this is very dangerous.
I bought my e90 3 months ago and all seemed in great condition. Put it on a diagnostics immediately after buying and no issues whatsoever. Just lately though I noticed when accelerating sometimes the car stutters and it feels like there's no power. I have also noticed that when HARD accelerating, such as joining the motorway there is a puff of black smoke. This only happens when I hit the gas hard though. I never see smoke any other time, not even on start up. It's happening more often now and I use the motorway a lot and we're a family so I've decided not to use the car any more but it's our only car!
Now to diagnosis. Firstly, there is NO warning light on at all. After doing some reading I was thinking glow plugs, BUT the car starts absolutely perfectly and instantly, I don't ever get any smoke except under hard acceleration then it clears.
Do faulty glow plugs come up in the warning lights?? Can they be faulty yet start the car properly every time? And would it in some cases only smoke under hard acceleration.
The car shows it won't need service until feb 2021 or 11K kms. Surely the filters will have been changed at last service? (Didn't get a FSH). And everything else does seem fine with the car.
The school run starts real soon and I'm terrified about losing power on motorways when accelerating (when you need it!)
We want to be careful not throwing money at things that are not wrong but nothing is coming up on the sensors which is not helping at all. Will another diagnostic run figure out ANY fault even it's not showing on the cars sensors?

Thanks so much in advance and waiting desperately for some help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is the car remapped? Puff of black on hard acceleration is normal when the DPF isn't there anymore. Can you get some info from INPA on injector values, expected vs actual values and DPF values. When was the fuel filter replaced as well?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the car remapped? Puff of black on hard acceleration is normal when the DPF isn't there anymore. Can you get some info from INPA on injector values, expected vs actual values and DPF values. When was the fuel filter replaced as well?
Hi thanks for replying. As far as I'm aware it's not been remapped. Yes a friend did tell me not to worry too much about the black smoke when accelerating hard. I just thought, well, apparently smoke could be one of the signs of glow problems. The INPA values you refer to I'm sorry I'm completely clueless as to what they are and how to obtain them? I have however just today ordered the Creator 101 bmw diagnostic tool. I heard they are pretty good and I think long term it's worth having around if you have a bimmer.
Do you know this kit and how effective it is at finding problems? I just want to know what to tackle before I start fixing and chaning things without even solving the problem.
There is no warning signal on the dash at all

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has occurred one time just after driving out the garage as well so I guess it's not exclusively at high speed. But usually when I'm up to 100 km/h pushing to 120 is where it usually kicks in. The car loses power and judders and pressing harder on the pedal gives no benefit and you feel the vibrations more. I usuallly just coast when this happens and reduce speed gradually. I could try a couple more times later and it's fine but it has occurred to me that this is pretty dangerous on a motorway.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Can you get a video of somebody revving the engine while you or somebody lse is videoing at the engine? As Sawier about checking for holes, maybe if we heard the engine we might pick up on something you haven't?

As for the diagnostic tool you have I'm really not sure, I use a K+Dcan cable and connect it to a laptop with all the software installed so I can't comment much on the device ykh have unfortunately.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks Sawier and Mr Sweet (nice name lol). I will do that. Not sure where exactly to check for holes but I'll read and have a look. Can at least try to figure some things out ha. I'll try to get the engine vid. Might probably sound fine cause the car otherwise seens absolutely ok. The engine covers will be on though. Can't remove them. Hope that will still be useful. Diagnostics gets here on tuesday via amazon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
unfortunately unless the hole is big and obvious you will need to it apart. Is there some other issue like whoosing noise when you step on it that wasn't there before?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately unless the hole is big and obvious you will need to it apart. Is there some other issue like whoosing noise when you step on it that wasn't there before?
Hi, no there isn't. In fact if it wasn't for the issue that rears its head once in a while I'd say the car is perfect. I've made the video of the engine at revs and idling but I can't seem to upload it, It's in mp4 format

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can we at least rule out one thing? If it is the case that the glow plugs are bad enough to affect the performance under acceleration then surely it would not start smoothly? Would this be the case, if anyone that knows can shed some light on this? Or could it still be (potentially) the problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no glow plugs don't do anything once the car is running
Yes this is what I thought. I read this is where they differ from spark plugs. Effectively they help start the car and that's pretty much it. But a search on google 'signs of faulty glow plugs' shows things like 'smoking, affecting acceleration, impacting fuel consumption,etc

All very confusing and not helping at all in this instance

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes this is what I thought. I read this is where they differ from spark plugs. Effectively they help start the car and that's pretty much it. But a search on google 'signs of faulty glow plugs' shows things like 'smoking, affecting acceleration, impacting fuel consumption,etc

All very confusing and not helping at all in this instance
Diesels ignite the air and fuel by nothing more than compression, however on cold mornings the air inside the chamber can make it harder to get upto temperature to ignite so that's where the glow plugs quickly bring the chamber temp up. I don't have any working glow plugs and the controller is nackered and mine runs fine mate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diesels ignite the air and fuel by nothing more than compression, however on cold mornings the air inside the chamber can make it harder to get upto temperature to ignite so that's where the glow plugs quickly bring the chamber temp up. I don't have any working glow plugs and the controller is nackered and mine runs fine mate
I don't disagree. Sounds logical really. I'm just wondering where all this about impacting acceleration and consumption etc comes from. Sounds contrary to what my understanding of them are

·
Registered
BMW TECHNICIAN 07814608685 CAMBRIDGESHIRE UK
26 Posts
Nice. Leek injector. Usually injector leek when aggressive accelerated and come black smoke. Lag to from injectors. Glow plug work only 45 secund after turn ignition. Do injector leek test.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. Leek injector. Usually injector leek when aggressive accelerated and come black smoke. Lag to from injectors. Glow plug work only 45 secund after turn ignition. Do injector leek test.
Thank you Remmy. I will look into it. Will this injector problem show up on diagnosis?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Diagnostic show electric part. Injector fuel return test manual part. Check youtube injector test

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will start my process of elimination with the most cost effective option: diesel injector cleaner. Gonna buy the thing, dump it in the tank and drive around just to see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fleshing fuel system more one forum. After 2 full tanks do not forget replace fuel filter. Read instructions to.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts