BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks a company is offering me a remap for my 320d for £250 and a bhp increase from 184hp to 230hp and 3-5 mpg increase, folks it's something new to me and sounds like a no brainier, tell me everything I need to know, like what are the adverse effects and what are the real increases and will it have any effect on my cbs? Etc etc. Cheers folks fire away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
A remap basically gets the ECU to put more fuel in so you get a bigger bang and hence more torque and power. The trade off is a more highly stressed engine mechanically, not usually an issue, and incomplete combustion leading to higher emissions and more soot which is more likely to block the DPF. To get more MPG you would have to improve the engines efficiency. BMW go to a heck of a lot of trouble to make their engines as efficient as possible as standard so I don't see how any third party tweaking of the map would improve on the OEM. It's always very difficult to prove/disprove the mappers MPG claims as many other factors make much more difference to MPG than a map tweak.

I wouldn't have a remap claiming that much power increase.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Wot he sez^^^^^^^^

Think of it this way if you go over the highest state of tune that BMW does on that multiplatform engine then you are then in the additional wear and tear territory which ultimately will shorten the life expectency of it's components that have a percentage of over engineering deliberately factored into them, so expense and unreliability will come around sooner than if it was in a lesser state of tune with less stress and wear..

in low mile newish cars all the above is acceptable and not really a problem if serviced well but age and many miles combined with slipshod servicing and mulitple owners you end up in a pontential sea of dogs and lemons as any car forum will show as most tech pages now are just page after page of the same diesel related engine and drivetrain problems...

the biggest killer IMO is too much urban useage a mapped car blasted up motorways all day long will prolly be as reliable as one that is not mapped as its not being pummelled with such destructive torque and not running so dirty....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not necessarily. A mild remap with a 10 to 15% power increase shouldn't be a problem, especially if you don't rag the arse off it all the time. My car had such a remap about 50000 miles ago and has been fine. If you want more MPG though you'll be disappointed. Better to just re-educate your right foot.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ide say it depends on the age and miles and who had your car before you and where they used it, and how it was serviced and where you intend to use it, will all decide what you get out of it in smiles or frowns...

the right formula a remap will be a pleasant and rewarding experience the wrong formula and it potentially go bad fast in the wallet and in reliability terms...

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you go for a milder map, say 215bhp and don't drive like you've stole it too often it should be ok if its mechanically sound and well serviced.

What's important is the quality of the remap, so do your research first. You don't want too much low end torque that makes the car feel really quick but destroys the clutch and flywheel. Simon from Emaps did my 163 up to 210bhp a couple of years ago and I've had no problems at all. It's not 'too' agressive low down so it hasn't destroyed the clutch and flywheel but it still pulls really well from around 1800rpm compared to stock, but between say 2800 and 4200rpm it absolutely flys if you floor it (and that's the Rev range it uses if you change up at 4200rpm).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I'm getting my 163hp 320d done by Simon soon and am also slightly worried about potential damage that may be caused. Did you specify what type of map you wanted or are they generic? Is the increase really noticeable and worth it?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just wanted a safe remap which gave me more power and mpg than what iv got now, im not saying my car is slow or bad on fuel because it certainly isn't any of those just the claims the remapper is saying i will get sounded like a no brainer to me

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi, I'm getting my 163hp 320d done by Simon soon and am also slightly worried about potential damage that may be caused. Did you specify what type of map you wanted or are they generic? Is the increase really noticeable and worth it?
Thanks
Simon quotes 200bhp for the 163 but if your cars been well looked after/serviced, mechanically in good condition and the injectors are still decent they make around 205/210.

I just told him I wanted as much power as possible without destroying the clutch and flywheel etc and if I gain a little mpg when I drive light footed that's a bonus.
My car is well serviced, it had an oil change, egr cleaned, new crankcase breather, fuel filter and air filter just before the remap and the injectors were all within 0.60 correction on inpa. I've had absolutely no problems with it in nearly 2 years at 210bhp and I do use the power quite often.
Simon modifies the parameters on your cars own map and puts it back on the car modified, rather than loading a genetic map. He told me it wouldnt be too agressive low down as that destroys the flywheel.

It's well worth having done, the car drives much smoother through the gears with no flat spots, and pulls really well from around 1800rpm all the way to the rev limiter (although peak hp is around 4200rpm), but between 3000 and 4200rpm the car really shifts and can fly past one of the new f30 320d's with 184bhp, and can pretty much keep with a stock 330d of the same age below three figure speed. To sum it up I don't think I would be happy with one of these cars stock after driving this remapped for nearly 2 years ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that information. Just recently had an oil service and fuel filter done also. Just worried something big will go wrong and the wife says "I told you so!"
I rarely go much above 3000rpm now as I usually change gear when indicated so will the remap make the gear lengths longer (if that's the correct term!).
I've seen nothing but praise for Simon so looks like I've made the right decision!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
another thing to consider is is if you are doing less than 15k a year and a lot of urban driving the diesel is not really the right choice as it will show no economic benefits and it will gum up the engine quicker as diesels run very dirty by nature with constant low speed urban throttling...remapping in this scenario will make it worse quicker...

plenty of big open roads, high RPM and minimal throttling it will be fine...ya can offset the dirty running somewhat by using a fuel additive but long term too much urban is not good for a diesel as the peak torque from low speed throttling pummels stuff anyway...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if your not doing at least 50% motorway i really wouldn't bother remapping it if it's got good mileage and use on it already, your just gonna bust it much quicker and make it more problematic in my opinion using it in mainly urban jungle, they dont like it they are motorway animals...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Cheers for the reply. Would a good blast up the motorway a few times a month help keep it clear?
The car won't do an "active regeneration", when it burns extra fuel on the exhaust stroke to burn off the soot in the DPF, until the water temperature reaches 75deg. Once regeneration starts it'll probably take another 10 or 15 miles to complete. You don't have to go particularly fast in this phase, even at 40mph exhaust temps will stay at over 600deg and continue to burn off the soot. It's the length of the journey which matters rather than the speed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for that information. Just recently had an oil service and fuel filter done also. Just worried something big will go wrong and the wife says "I told you so!"
I rarely go much above 3000rpm now as I usually change gear when indicated so will the remap make the gear lengths longer (if that's the correct term!).
I've seen nothing but praise for Simon so looks like I've made the right decision!
Everything you've seen online is true, Simon knows his stuff and is a genuinely nice guy.

It won't alter the gear lengths .. But it will make the rpm needle fly round much quicker :hihi in first and second gear you'll be on the rev limiter before you know it if you floor it!
If you rarely go above 3000rpm I guess you'll mainly notice the extra low end torque, personally though I often see 4000rpm in 3rd gear ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a straight out oval one so I think it does then. Looking forward to the remap now after all I've heard, thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts