BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2007 e70
The particle filter warning keeps coming on

my mechanic (not official Bmw) advised that as the glow plugs need replacing that the DPF won’t reset

he recommended putting kerosine in the engine and driving at about 3-3.5 rpm for an hour in a motorway to burn it out

A) will that work ?
B) is it safe , will it damage the car ?
C) any other ideas / suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
No that won’t work. The issue is if you have a dpf fault code and or glow plug fault codes the dpf will not regenerate. you will first need to sort those issues out and then check that the engine gets up to the correct running temp as the stats often fail causing cooler running which again stops the regen. When all the parameters are then met drive it normally at about 60mph on a constant light throttle for approx 20 miles and it should regen. Driving it hard as your mechanic said does not force the regen and in fact can hamper it As it is drawing in too much air.
cheers
jim

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
What are the actual codes? And like suggested check the engine temps from cluster hidden menu. (For regeneration coolant temp has to be >75 C, normal running temp near 90 C.)Failed glow plugs won't prevent DPF regeneration. If the vehicle is over 150kmiles that warning could be the calculated DPF renewal notice which can be reset with BMW diagnostics.

·
Vendor
4,110 Posts
If you have glow plugs faults for 1/2 the blank of cylinders the engine has
I have seen this cause problems before stopping the regen process

BW chiptune

-Tuning BMWs since 1991
-Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
-Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
-New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day
-Key data fixed in EWS or CAS for non starters or when theft attempted.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
-DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal
-40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 e70
The particle filter warning keeps coming on

my mechanic (not official Bmw) advised that as the glow plugs need replacing that the DPF won’t reset

he recommended putting kerosine in the engine and driving at about 3-3.5 rpm for an hour in a motorway to burn it out
Do you mean putting kerosene in the engine or using kerosine in the fuel tank? If the former the engine banging will be a clue. Avoid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts