BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a BMW 730i and would like to convert to LPG?

I was wondering about the common faults on the 730i and on average the running costs over a year?

Also, when converted which manufacturer/make is reccommended for the LPG conversion?

Finally, after all that is it really worth it at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear from you guys soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
definatly worth it, say your getiing 19mpg round town, you will get equivilant of about 34mpg.
its just the breaking even time that you have to wait through, but it is instant nice feeling filling up for £29 instead of £60 or 70

·
Registered
36 Posts
LPG is definately the way to go. I'm on my fifth LPG car now and would never look back. I average 22mpg with my 745i and pay 43p per liter. Compare that with diesel at 104p per litre and you're talking 2.4 times the equivalent economy of 53mpg. A large diesel car will struggle to get in the mid-30's mpg.

Don't convert unless you are doing mega-miles. Just buy a car already converted otherwise you may be waiting a year or two before you start benefitting from the costs. I have never converted a car. You might as well get someone else to pay for it first, then buy it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
i agree with Hayne.
i've just picked up a 750 with lpg conversion.
running costs are comparable to my old 2.0 Audi A6 in terms of fuel costs...
where about town i may be getting 7-10mpg instead of the old 15-18, the half price fuel costs more then compensates for this.
its just a case of finding a local LPG station to where you are. i travel the midlands for work so am always in different cities. for me, its just a case of finding their local lpg stations or if not, fillling up before i leave as i know the tank will last me the day (260miles ish to a tank of lpg)

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
As mentioned payback periods on LPG conversions can take a year or two!

Your fuel consumption on LPG should be up to 20% less than your petrol consumption.

I would go for a Prins or Romano kit. Actually I'd probably go for Romano as the dealer network is a lot lessed closed than the Prins lot.

If you are feeling brave you can buy a decent kit with support for DIY fitting for about £900.

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
yup, LPG all the way. I can't see a time when I will buy anything other than an lpg car. my E32 750i was cheaper to run on lpg than my old Peugeot 306 Diesel!!

Incredible stuff, oh and it makes a good conversation starter if you meet any of those environmental nutcases :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking to buy a BMW 730i and would like to convert to LPG?

Also, when converted which manufacturer/make is reccommended for the LPG conversion?

Finally, after all that is it really worth it at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear from you guys soon.
I would go for the conversion, you get your money back within a year or so. If you decide to sell it earlier the car is likely to generate greater interest and be more desirable. Iv seen many vehicles on ebay that are lpg converted that get many more bids and go for abit more then the usual, definately more attractive to the potential buyer.

Win Win situation!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
LPG - never again

I used to have a Range Rover with an LPG system. Apart from the awful smell of the exhaust it simply took the pleasure out of driving the car - the performance was sluggish with low throttle response and a generally dead feeling to the car. After a few LPG service people had tried to fix it to no avail I took it off the car and switched back to petrol.

So, LPG - never again! :thumbsdown

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, newbie here :hihi.

Im also looking to buy a E65 7 series and would like to know what the best engine is for the LPG conversion? (730, 740, 745 etc...)

I understand I can save money if I buy a car already converted, however, what sort of problems should I be looking to avoid and how can I make basic checks that the LPG system is all in order (excluding the installation certificate).

Although I'm leaning more towards a 7 I also have the option to go buy a E39 5, which I would be looking to do an LPG conversion on also.

Any advice will be most helpful

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Start the car from cold and make sure it changes over to LPG within a mile or two. Makes sure it changes over smoothly. Also make sure it doesn't cut out or stall. Try driving it on LPG then on petrol and make sure there is little difference in performance.

Make sure it doesn't smell when driving. Ask the owner to fill it up to make sure there are no filling issues.

Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.