BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I will be in the market for an E63 soon and looking for feedback on the above models.
I am based in Ireland, so tax on the 645/650i will be 1,809 Euro per year, the oil buner will be 750 per year, but the purchase price of an added 3-6k over here.

Engines - I hear the 645i is prone to cooling system failures and valve stem seal failure.
Is it the same engine thats in the 650i?

635d - well I have had 2 530d E60's, one was remapped....so somewhat familiar territory.

What I am after is low end grunt and relaxed cruiser...with lots of overtaking power.
I am guessing all of the models above will provide this.

All opinions welcome.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I do 700 mile weekly in my work horse 635d. 635d if you going to use that engine and make most of it. I say 650i first

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Can't comment on the petrols - the oil burner suits the car's bullish muscular GT character well though. 35d engine is pretty bullet proof as well as long as oil changes etc are looked after so running costs ought to be an order of magnitude less than the V8 petrols and it's plenty quick enough even in standard factory form. Fuel economy and resulting range are vastly better in the oil burner as well - turns it into a proper continent crushing GT car and a brilliant workhorse. I've done nearly 100k with mine which has included a lot of 1000 mile weeks and absolutely agree with Black7 above re the ability to use it as a daily.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A lot depends on your typical usage. It also depends on where you live. Here in London, diesels are becoming ever more so 'persona no grata'. IF one wants to drive into the congestion zone, an extra £12.50: Parking costs MUCH more too!

Diesels & predominantly short journeys don't live well together either. I only do 3 or 4000 miles a year so it was petrol for me.

Your break even trade off with Road Fund Tax seems to to 4 or 5 years.

The later 650 ironed out some of the wrinkles of the 645. If buying either, it is worth checking out if the valve stem seals have been replaced, or in all likelihood you will end up with an oil burner!

·
Registered
697 Posts
650i %100
If you find good one it's fun. I had one before my 635d and loved every minute of it. It wasnt LCI but it was nice when I had it
6 years go

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a 635d...what a car!!
I do not miss the M3 at all. The 6er is in a different league of luxury and comfort, and is not shy on the move either. That torque!!!
And from driving London to Holyhead, I still had over half a tank in the car leaving the boat in Dublin. Amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Welcome to the club. Once you own one you see what's that all about:))

If you take dpf off then you be in shock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts