BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey bimmer Community

Does anyone know what the 'normal' operating coolant and oil temperatures should be of the 630i? During the recent warm weather I've noticed 3 untoward things:

1. My engine is feeling (and smelling) really hot at the end of my journeys. After noticing this I started to keep an eye on gauges and have noticed the oil temp will reach somewhere between 105 and 120 degrees, especially in heavy traffic.

2. My OBD reader says coolant is getting to about 100 - 110 degrees. The oil temp usually sits at abt 90 but I've definitely noticed both climbing up lately. The engine bay seems excessively hot to me but my garage told me beemers do run hot but it's booked in anyway (soonest is a month away!). Last week I noticed that my coolant level had dropped to the minimim mark on the float and took about a pint to top it back up. Not noticed any leaks anywhere and I've got no error messages or fault codes.

3. My oil smells strongly of petrol and my fuel economy has dropped to about 25mpg (mainly motorway mileage). There appears to be some oil on the undertray and my CCC this week is telling me the oil level has dropped by one notch (so about a quarter of a litre I think).

I've read all sorts of potential causes to all 3 symptoms, from leaking injectors for the petrol in the oil problem, to faulty water pumps and cracked breather pipes for the temp issue.

Any clues anyone? Am I safe to keep driving for now? Love my 6 and really don't want to blow my engine!

Cheers muchly

·
Registered
76 Posts
it sounds like 2 separate issues.

overheating most likely due to a dodgy thermostat or radiator (or both) - have you checked that your fans kicking in when it should be?

petrol smell in oil is more common than you think, could be an injector or could just be that you do a lot of short trips in the car and some petrol has made it into the oil pan.

those engine are very robust, nonetheless, I’d be sorting it out as soon as possible if it was me.
If you do need to keep driving it then download something like the torque app where you can set your own temperature warning levels for piece of mind.

Timm on here is the 6 series virtuoso and I’ve been amazed at his knowledge base I’d definitely be checking his posts and YouTube channel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi MNorth, thanks for taking the time to answer, the advice. When working from home most of my journeys were fairly short (runs to shops and visit folks. etc), but for the last couple of months this has been more handful of 80+ mile journeys a month and over the last 2 weeks, 20 miles/day commute (about 15 on motorway). Makes sense that they're could be some fuel in the oil pan from the short trips but the deteriorating fuel economy has got me thinking it might be an injector problem (or something else).

Great idea about Torque. I already use it. Do you know how to set the coolant temp alert? By the way, does, 110ish degrees sound hot to you?

Cheers

QUOTE="MNorth, post: 3336351, member: 857188"]

overheating most likely due to a dodgy thermostat or radiator (or both) - have you checked that your fans kicking in when it should be?

petrol smell in oil is more common than you think, could be an injector or could just be that you do a lot of short trips in the car and some petrol has made it into the oil pan.

those engine are very robust, nonetheless, I’d be sorting it out as soon as possible if it was me.
If you do need to keep driving it then download something like the torque app where you can set your own temperature warning levels for piece of mind.

Timm on here is the 6 series virtuoso and I’ve been amazed at his knowledge base I’d definitely be checking his posts and YouTube channel

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey bimmer Community

Does anyone know what the 'normal' operating coolant and oil temperatures should be of the 630i? During the recent warm weather I've noticed 3 untoward things:

1. My engine is feeling (and smelling) really hot at the end of my journeys. After noticing this I started to keep an eye on gauges and have noticed the oil temp will reach somewhere between 105 and 120 degrees, especially in heavy traffic.

2. My OBD reader says coolant is getting to about 100 - 110 degrees. The oil temp usually sits at abt 90 but I've definitely noticed both climbing up lately. The engine bay seems excessively hot to me but my garage told me beemers do run hot but it's booked in anyway (soonest is a month away!). Last week I noticed that my coolant level had dropped to the minimim mark on the float and took about a pint to top it back up. Not noticed any leaks anywhere and I've got no error messages or fault codes.

3. My oil smells strongly of petrol and my fuel economy has dropped to about 25mpg (mainly motorway mileage). There appears to be some oil on the undertray and my CCC this week is telling me the oil level has dropped by one notch (so about a quarter of a litre I think).

I've read all sorts of potential causes to all 3 symptoms, from leaking injectors for the petrol in the oil problem, to faulty water pumps and cracked breather pipes for the temp issue.

Any clues anyone? Am I safe to keep driving for now? Love my 6 and really don't want to blow my engine!

Cheers muchly

Ps yes couldn't agree more on Timm. Is there nothing he doesn't know about the 6?!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi MNorth, thanks for taking the time to answer, the advice. When working from home most of my journeys were fairly short (runs to shops and visit folks. etc), but for the last couple of months this has been more handful of 80+ mile journeys a month and over the last 2 weeks, 20 miles/day commute (about 15 on motorway). Makes sense that they're could be some fuel in the oil pan from the short trips but the deteriorating fuel economy has got me thinking it might be an injector problem (or something else).

Great idea about Torque. I already use it. Do you know how to set the coolant temp alert? By the way, does, 110ish degrees sound hot to you?

Cheers

QUOTE="MNorth, post: 3336351, member: 857188"]

[/QUOTE]
Hi mate,

most modern cars will run between the range of 75 - 105. I’m not 100% sure what the 630 should be running at.

just found this video though which is certainly worth you watching

I am unsure if coolant temp warning is only available on torque pro, if memory serves me correctly it’s a tick box in the settings labelled something like warning, audible warning etc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi mate,

most modern cars will run between the range of 75 - 105. I’m not 100% sure what the 630 should be running at.

just found this video though which is certainly worth you watching

I am unsure if coolant temp warning is only available on torque pro, if memory serves me correctly it’s a tick box in the settings labelled something like warning, audible warning etc
[/QUOTE]

Just watched that video, thanks, really informative! So much respect for all this knowledge and folk that like to help out 👍. Found that setting in Torque, it's a notification which tells you when you've reached operating temp so have enabled that for now. Thanks again mate.

·
3,314 Posts
It sounds like the cooling system is working, but a bit inefficiently - have a good look between the radiators for debris and give it a good blast with the garden hose to push through the fins - all explained here:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like the cooling system is working, but a bit inefficiently - have a good look between the radiators for debris and give it a good blast with the garden hose to push through the fins - all explained here:

Hi Timm

Many thanks for sending this over. Great video as always!! I've had look as best I can and can't see any debris so looks like it'll need disassembling. The coolant was running at 108 deg this morning which I've no idea is normal or not. Also, do you have any advice on the petrol in the oil symptom?
Do you know if this to be expected?
Much appreciated!

·
3,314 Posts
Yes, 108C is normal - it is a temperature-mapped thermostat and will lower the coolant temperature to 85C or so when demanding loads of power. 108C gives good economy but it does mean the engine gets pretty hot! As already said, that is probably from short trips - possibly time for an oil change:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts