BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m thinking I maybe need to replace or service the tailgate struts on my 2005 e61 touring. The boot is very stiff to open and close but it does stay open on its own.

I have been looking for aftermarket struts but previous forum posts elsewhere are saying stay away from the cheap stuff. BMW or about £150 for the pair.

Is my boot meant to be fairly light to open and close? Or are the struts in perfect working order? Also when I use the tailgate release button in door over footwell all it does is unlatch the boot, is this correct or is it meant to spring it open? I don’t have an auto bootlid option btw pre lci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Order from Cotswold who are one of the forum preferred suppliers and they can give you a bit of a discount. Tell them you were sent their way from Bimmerforums and they'll apply the discount code.

It would save you a few quid on OEM items. I bought one for my E61 recently though TBH I would have thought BMW would be using a better spec item than they do. Unless they have weaker springs or something I don't know you'd be losing much going aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Check out an earlier post that I put on about tailgate struts, mine had gone soft, and would drop onto your head!! I bought mine from a firm in Germany on Ebay, my earlier post says the manufacturer.

To be fair it sounds like yours are OK, the tailgate doesn't lift on its own normally - I think a few people confuse this with the option that does open it fully, it isn't a std fit though. The tailgate shouldn't be that hard to close, if it does feel stiff, maybe the seals in the struts have hardened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sgs struts don’t do E61 tailgates only bonnet ones. There several on eBay but considering an actual gas strut company doesn’t do them I can see how an eBay bargain would work in place of an old BMW part. I have asked on Cotswold but still I’ll over £100. I’ll see what winter brings but the first hint of it dropping and I’ll need to spend my Xmas money on new bmw ones I can think.

I can’t see any posts you mentioned about sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I couldn't find my post either!! The firm I got the struts from was called H & S GmbH, they supplied a pair of Stabilus struts for E78.49, which I found on Ebay. They work absolutely fine, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had even put a blob of grease in each of the ball fixings, which seemed to imply a good quality item from a decent manufacturer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts