BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, morning.

Can i ask you please, sunday (yesturday) we was about 50 mile away from our home, we was at family members home.

so when we (my self, my misssis < in the front > & no max of about 20kg shopping < in the boot / tail lift area > ).

when we drove off (say about 2nd gear) the dash board went ding, & a warning light came on.

the light said something like. suspension leveling .. with a picture of a yellow car with an arrow pointing up & down in the center of the car.

I had ro also stop for diesel so around the corner from the family member home we stopped. engine off.

we then restarted off again & was only till i got into 2nd gear again the light (as above) came on.

I've looked over the net & a lot of folk are saying my pump as shot (that's if i dont hear it pumping / priming, so im going out to it soon to check.)

if it is pumping then its my bellows (ive seen called) the springs.

but the car is still (on the back) about 2 - 3 fingers space between the top of the tire to the wheel arch (if you get me) (my 2 - 3 fingers are about good 1 & half inches - 2 & quarter inches).

just went out & measured the space... on wheels 17 inch, tires 235- 45- 17... from the bottom of the rim to the wheel arch is 23 & half inch or 59.5 cm or 595 mm.

its just started pouring down rain. so im back in.

to make it worse..... im going away tomorrow morning for few days & the airport is 40 mile away (15 miles of them are fast bypast roads.)

will my car be ok for this. & also when i get back to collect my car from carpark, will it be ok so i can get it home on same roads.

thanks a lot all for any help.

reason for edit...= i adjusted the wheel space.

thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi again.

i just been out to the car...& for drive ( 10 - 15 mile there & then same back).

so...........

key / engine running, i hear a pump ( as usual ) for about 20 - 30 secs,.

then ding on the dash (as i was talking to 1 of the neighbours), got in & drove off, ( forgot all about the ding on the dash.)

next, i hear & see the dash go nuts ... this time telling me to put seat belt on. .all good.

only drove at about 40 - 45 mph (our roads are quite bad, ) then i noticed that the dash light & car picture was not on.

about 10 min's into the drive then ding it came on.. great.

on the way back home (after turning off the car when we got to place we went , & turning back on the engine to come home) the dash light didnt come back on till 5 mins from home (trip took 25 mins aprox each way).

like i say 40 - 45 mph driving & i was not throwing the car around.

so my pump is working..
my springs are holding (well at the moment).

could it be a pipe or filter like ive seen a lot of issues with.?

the car is my car (if you get my strange way,) il probably keep it for a few yrs, longs it dont break me to much.
so seen a read up on some body else & some one told them to go a ebay site with a link (meant to be the cheapest) .

then another guy said a good site on how to do job.

the how to job......this was found on https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/122621-guide-to-e61-air-suspension-repairs/

the site is .. http://arnottmanuals.com/?part_number=A-2755

the parts place (sorry i cant find the person that i found it from)
the site is ... https://www.ebay.ie/usr/air-suspension-shop-eu?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

thanks to these guy's & for sharing there info.

the car is still 23 & half inch from bottom of rim to the wheel arch.

thanks all.
laters.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Bizarre electrical faults and spurious warnings especially to do with the suspension in an E61 can be a sign of water ingress into the battery well. Get the boot covers up and take a look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi both, thanks for reply.
collected the car from the car park on saturday, & all was ok, until again 10minutes max from home (on a 1 hr 30 minute trip) ding on the dash .. suspension level.
yes i checked in the boot tire well, removed the spare wheel, & the black foam protecive stuff & there is a few relays. only had a quick look, all was dry, no damp no condensation, all bone dry. have not looked into the battery well yet tho. this week end we'r going into the garage (my parents) & going to look all over it, might start at the pipe work from & to the pump as ive read a few place's that the pipe with the filter can perish & not give good or get good feed of air.

used the car today for work .. 1hr each way, & no ding on the dash, only kept to 50 mph & again not throwing the car around,but all ok today.
hope it stays like this now till i can go over it.

il also do a battery test & altonator evog,
but can water get into the battery well tho snowblind.?

thanks both for the help.
talk to you later.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If the tyre well is dry then the battery compartment is probably ok too but worth checking anyway.

Right on for checking the battery and alternator output. Flaky regulators can also play havoc with the electrics and over-voltages are as bad, if not worse, than low.

This makes for interesting viewing given your description.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi ya snowblind. thanks for the yt vid.
yes i seen that mate,
the guy say's on his reviews that replacement of the pump the car would then have to be plugged into ista,

'You need to reset the ride height in Ista d you cannot change the pump when you change the pump the car puts itself in transport mode ' (this comment is nearly at the bottom of the reviews)

is this correct,?
i take it ista is the professional diagnostic unit.?
only just seen that comment on his vid' now.

thanks for the other info aswell snowblind

thanks

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
You can buy ISTA on t'interweb for £20-30. Can be a bit of a pain to install but I think newer releases have fixed that.

Probably worth getting hold of as you want to rule out a flaky ride height sensor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning, this is early for me to be on here, I'm not at work due to bank holiday & I forgot to put the clock back & turn off the work alarm :rolleyes:

So...I was at the parents on Saturday ( in the garage ).
As I could hear the pump working & the car is still 3 fingers space or bit more between the tire & edge of the arch, I presume the pump & the balloon springs are ok.

Jacked up the driver rear (right hand drive). Removed the wheel & the wheel arch liner. Found the filter with a ( about 8 inch length ) plastic pipe on connecting to a ( about 8 inch shaped to the car ) rubber pipe.
Removed this from pump & inspected it, we can blow or suck both ends from the filter or the pipe ( so I take it it's not blocked ) pipe isn't to bad not perished, but beens I had new stuff we replaced it.
So I cleaned what I could with a small like Swede brush & a tooth brush were I couldn't get in with other, I spray oiled (can of like wd40) certain things.

Dad did say that on my hub carrier (the big heavy H thing , I have picture of it if I can load it up on here) that there's this little electrical box with a leg attached to the carrier & that is a sensor for ride hight or to keep the car level. ( On 1 of the merc's it's in the center of the boot). That this sends a signal to the car to say level or not, throwing a dash light.
Is this that thing? ( looks to me & would make sense).

I had a look on eBay snowblind, at the ista.
The pc with the cables is about £1000 +. Just a hard drive with the cables is about £300 ish.
1000 quid bit pricey for just the novice home diy guy, 300 is also bit pricey, but if I'm keeping the car for few yr & I'm BMW, next car more than likely BMW so 300 be worth it to me, what you thing of price, would they sound about right or would these units be nearly scrap / over used.

Thanks mate. Have good bank holiday. Try & load that picture of the hub carrier with that sensor on to show you what I mean.

Laters, thanks.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks a lot both..... really great, thanks a lot .... never seen this thing before snowblind or heard of what you say alan, i thought you meant the thing i said.
& this thing you say above, i just plug into my car & into my laptop that im using now to do this reply, laptop is basic old dell unit.
im going to look into this tho both......thanks again....
have you ever used this thing above.?

im using a autel md805 maxidiag. plugs into any obd2 car & scans & reads codes.

thanks a lot both

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I've got something similar. Installation was easy. Do the cable drivers first then INPA followed by DIS if you want it along with the other bits. The silver switched cables can do the old style E39s and earlier and the later E60 onwards all in one.

All this being said, 90% of the time these problems come down to a leak in one of the air bags. First pass would just be to replace them with a pair of aftermarket items off the auction sites or autodoc. Cost you about £150 for the pair and it's a relatively easy DIY. Personally I'd be inclined to do that before I start worrying too much about the electronics. The ride height sensors are essentially just variable pots so there isn't much to go wrong. You know your pump works and the controller is still functional. Do the easy bits first and see how you get on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there was a leak in 1 of the air bags, wouldn't i hear the pump more often trying to keep the bag up or the air bag on 1 of the sides being lower or flat the next morning or after a few days.
I know ive kept all weight out of the back (even tho i dont carry much, few bags of food shopping, or 20kg dog or the odd bag of 40kg coal once every few weeks. max 3/4 tank diesel.. not all at the same time.) but the light on the dash asn't come on for the full week.

I have 2 new air bags & the pump / relay, filter.. cheapest place & part i found was from on the ebay site that i say in post 2 for 500 euro (about 430 sterling) post included.
wasn't till i heard the pump pumping after i ordered the parts.
so i was already to go into the garage & strip it all out. then i flicked over a youtube video few hrs before you sent me the 1 above & the guy init said if the pump is plugged out or changed the the car needs to be plugged into ista to be level set. so thank god that i didnt go at that or the pump is ok.

im not moaning to much about the parts i brought, (i didn't need to buy them) but at least now there in the garage for when i need them.
im going to have good look into that cable (the thing in the link you sent me above) now that looks a good tool / investment, anything that makes life easier, why use a spanner when you can use a socket, yes spanner may be only few quid & socket / ratchet a good few quid but a lot better to use.

il talk to you again mate, again tho thank you for the link about the cable, appreciated .
have good evening mate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice...glad it worked out for you thus far.
I'm actually going to buy the cable & get the software to lower the rear once I change out to lower springs in the front.
Once you get everything plug it up & let us know how it is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, nice 1.
i have the autel maxidiag md805, it plugs into most obd2 cars & obd1 with the right cable, it scans & reads codes, delete them, reset oil, freeze frame, live report. decent little unit. had it for few yrs now.
All i do with it is scan (when i / we have a problem) the car or the family member car's, read the code's, the write them down, then find out what the code means & try fix it.
Probably that's what everyone does, but like i say it as other things on, freeze frame .. live report, i look at these but dont no what they mean or how to put it to use for help.
So that cable that snowblind was saying about looks good. & yes il more than likely get 1, well yes il get 1.
but will i be able to use it.....
I'd like to be able to, including the other things on it, without messing up anything.

I wouldn't mind going to a night class for hr or 2 after work to learn how to use the properly, so online i found a place, its in Ireland, (cant think were but the link will help.), & for a cost / price they send you a link to another place were they send you basic's how to use the diagnostic units, after you have done the course they give you a test, all online, & if you pass you get to print off a certificate saying your able & your level of knowledge.
Think it was 20 euro.

The link is.

there is few more things on it as well that look interesting.
but yes, all ok at the moment ... touch wood it stays ok.
talk to you later eurospece61.

thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi, evening,
my suspension problem as shown up again.
well it never really went away,
if i keep the weight out of the back (20kg dog in the boot, bag or 2 food shopping, & passenger) then all would be ok.
but if i did have the weight in the car the dash would say suspension fault.
then when id got to were im going & un-load & turn off the engine, when i re-started without any load the dash would be clear (no suspension fault).
but yesturday we went out, dog in the car /boot , 2 bags food shopping inside behind front seats (on the floor), missis in front passenger seat & the dash suspension fault on.

when we got home & un-loaded, few hour later we (missis & i ) went out & the suspension fault came back on (approx in 2nd gear / 30 seconds ).
& its doing this fairly often now.
so today i changed the part .. please see link below....

we changed this on the passenger side rear, took the car out for a test & it seemed ok, done a mile or 2 down the road got into 5th gear, swerving left / right.
then got back into the drive way, just about to turn off engine &.... suspension fault.

i only had 1 of the parts above, so i ordered another.

looking down a few right ups on another sites. & some1 as spoke of a longitudinal / lateral sensor.
this sensor .... is it the thing keeping the car level.?
this part is flipping expensive (excuse the lingo).

would plugging the car into a pro' diagnostic unit tell me any codes on the issue.?
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Don't think this is one of the levelling sensors. Its an accelerometer which detects motion in the XY plane ie forwards/backwards, left/right.

Given the fact you are getting levelling errors it is more likely to be this (example in the link below), assuming it is a faulty sensor. However these sensors are pretty simple affairs. They are pretty much just a potentiometer so there isn't much to go wrong. Maybe check/clean the connectors but a failure in one of these should show up in a diagnostic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot snowblind.
I plugged it into my autel diagnostic unit, but it didn't come with any codes for it, but saying that this unit may not detect that.

I did get the cable that you say was / is quite good, but not found the _alls to plug it in ??.
Reason... Can I alter / change the settings to my car, if I accidentally touch something. ?
I got my autel maxidiag md805, dad had a merc 320cdi, & couldn't get it to start for the life of us.
Plugged this unit in & it said injectors (something on these lines), but he all ready had them cleaned recalibrated, so can't be them. Yes it was the 1 they fixed.
Now I use this md805 in all our cars, I got used to it. It's only scanner & reader, deleter, so can't mess any settings up on the car.
Thanks mate, il have a look at the link you sent me when I get home.
Have a good mate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi lads, morning, it's very white out (frosty).
I came over to the parents last weekend, got the car plugged in, but before this, the guy that was / is going to plug it in said start it as I did he said you hear that....from driver side, you have air leak. Fix that & you be ok.
Still plugged it in. No codes came back for or he didn't check the suspension.
So this Saturday (19/01/20) I jacked up both side back, pulled the fuse think it was 52 & 71, (52 is a 40amp & the 71 is a 7.5amp) the deflated any air in drivers air bag by releasing the blue / red pipe on the valve, then removed the bag & replaced with new,. I found that there was no split on the bag.
I lowered the car down carefully with fuse's back in, the bags refilled, but still the self leaving & dash go ding.
I heard a fainter air leak still coming from the driver side.
Can the 2 way valve with a red & blue pipe on give trouble?
Can I change this valve by removing the fuses & the wiring plug , & swap it over for new?
Will have to be plugged in?
(I still not got my bbcables up & running yet, another pain in the as_)
Any help please.
Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts