BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2008 E61 520D SE 5 series Touring LCI with N47 engine, 6HP21 auto gearbox, silver gear lever with button on top and side.

I have an issue with the car when it has been running for around an hour or so, generally on motorway type driving. The car appears to lock in 5th or 6th gear when on an incline when you would expect it to drop down a gear. At this point the transmission reports an error and goes into limp home mode. Connecting up INPA shows a 4F85 error code which is an E clutch error. I have tried driving the car in manual mode and discovered that when the problem arises and I try to change down gear the dash shows the lower gear but the transmission does not change down (rev counter stays the same). If I knock the gearbox into neutral and then back into drive it allows the gearbox to change gear normally.

So far I have changed gearbox oil, filter, bridge seal and the four seals (2 short, 1 medium, 1 long). Unfortunately the problem still exists.

My thoughts now are that I could have a solenoid problem or the valve body (mechatronics unit) needs rebuilt or the E clutch bush is out of tolerance.

Before spending money on solenoids I was wondering if I should just get a second hand box and fit it.

My question is can I use a 6HP21 from a 1 series or a 3 series and fit it to my 5 series?

I obviously need a 6HP21 box which has the 9 solenoid E shift mechatronic. The plate on my gearbox says I have a build spec 1071 030 023 or 1071 030 027. The plate is very tired and it is not easy to read the last digit.

Can I swap the adapter plate from my box across to any 6HP21 box if the holes are in a different position or there are a different number of holes to bolt it to the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is a 2008 E61 520D SE 5 series Touring LCI with N47 engine, 6HP21 auto gearbox, silver gear lever with button on top and side.

I have an issue with the car when it has been running for around an hour or so, generally on motorway type driving. The car appears to lock in 5th or 6th gear when on an incline when you would expect it to drop down a gear. At this point the transmission reports an error and goes into limp home mode. Connecting up INPA shows a 4F85 error code which is an E clutch error. I have tried driving the car in manual mode and discovered that when the problem arises and I try to change down gear the dash shows the lower gear but the transmission does not change down (rev counter stays the same). If I knock the gearbox into neutral and then back into drive it allows the gearbox to change gear normally.

So far I have changed gearbox oil, filter, bridge seal and the four seals (2 short, 1 medium, 1 long). Unfortunately the problem still exists.

My thoughts now are that I could have a solenoid problem or the valve body (mechatronics unit) needs rebuilt or the E clutch bush is out of tolerance.

Before spending money on solenoids I was wondering if I should just get a second hand box and fit it.

My question is can I use a 6HP21 from a 1 series or a 3 series and fit it to my 5 series?

I obviously need a 6HP21 box which has the 9 solenoid E shift mechatronic. The plate on my gearbox says I have a build spec 1071 030 023 or 1071 030 027. The plate is very tired and it is not easy to read the last digit.

Can I swap the adapter plate from my box across to any 6HP21 box if the holes are in a different position or there are a different number of holes to bolt it to the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi. Only just signed up on this forum and fount your post. I drive e60 53d,pre lci,but box is pritty much same,which is zf6hp. Now if you getting faults with your box,then i would stronly suggest that you plug you diagnostic,as i understand you got some decent stuff and then read adaptation values for the clutch drums. If adaptations are high,then its rebuild i am affraid and spending money on new solenoids wont fix it. I just had my box rebuilt,so been doing a lot of research.
My transmission did not have any fault codes,just adaptation values on cluth E was high,well it was sky high,but was enough to make gear shifts not nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also was thinking about second hand box,but dont think its good idea,because most of those boxes have high miles by now and most of them are going to be not very good. If you go for second hand box then yo need oil and filter change,bridge seal and 4 tubes. Box is 400 to 600 pounds,maybe bit more,oil change is about 300 to 400 and if you have to have garage to remove and fit box its going to be another 150 to 250 quid. Also when box is out it would be good idea to torque converter and that is another 300 pound plus or minus. Also another thing with those trannys is you need to find same part number box with same serial or you might need to code it to your car,not hard,but not all mehanics know how to or have tools for it. You could put your old mechatronic in the second hand one though.
This is only my opinion and i was seriously considering second hand box route,but after lots of thinking and counting decided to go for a rebuild. Yes that was bit more expensive,but then you get warranty and you know that old parts were replaced.
I paid for recon box,set of solenoids,torque converter recon,replacement valve body and all labour 2200 pounds inc vat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts