BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Strange one this. I have a 58 E61 LCI auto, And when driving even when the heater is on full heat. When my hand is near the gear lever. I can feel a freezing cold draft. But for the life in me I can't find where it's coming from! Anyone else had this? It's odd. Cheers for any info.

·
Registered
421 Posts
One of the lower heater vent ? stuck maybe?

It can come from the gear stick itself. Pry up the leathery casing. There should be a seal rubber side down

·
Registered
925 Posts
Might be a bit obvious - but just checking that you've adjusted the temperature of the centre chest air vents via the iDrive? Some models had a helpful wheel actually on the central vents to adjust fresh air vs heated air - but I think the E6x have that functionality buried in the iDrive (E63 certainly does so assuming E61 probably the same!).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I find the E61 LCI heater/vent control a PiTA compared to my old E39 version. Seems to have fewer options to vary things and the control is limited.

Suggest you use air temp sensing tool #1 (ie a wet hand) to locate exactly where the cold air is coming from first and go from there. You might find it's the demisting vents.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Couldn't agree more - why ditch a simple and perfectly effective wheel for something complex to find. I think that the E46/E39/E53 generation may well have been the high water mark for intuitive/easy to use/legible dash and controls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be a bit obvious - but just checking that you've adjusted the temperature of the centre chest air vents via the iDrive? Some models had a helpful wheel actually on the central vents to adjust fresh air vs heated air - but I think the E6x have that functionality buried in the iDrive (E63 certainly does so assuming E61 probably the same!).
Yeah. I am aware of the idrive setting. It's on warm. And heater on full belts out hot air. But as I say just left of the gear selector. Seem to be a freezing cold area. Almost feels like it's not a draft. Just like a zone. Ta

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah. I am aware of the idrive setting. It's on warm. And heater on full belts out hot air. But as I say just left of the gear selector. Seem to be a freezing cold area. Almost feels like it's not a draft. Just like a zone. Ta
Did you pull up the gear stick and its casing and check the rubber seal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you pull up the gear stick and its casing and check the rubber seal?
Not got round to it yet pal. Been busy but will be having a look at the weekend. It's an auto. So not sure it'll have the hole a manual would do? Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts