BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and great job on the community feel.

I have recently purchased a low mileage for age 535d e61. I just wanted to run through some of the issues I am facing , to try and self remedy and avoid the stealers as much as possible as I am semi skilled and sort of experienced with the m57 engine.

Ok I have a 103k 535d 2006 in sport glory. This car was serviced in accordance with its intervals but it was by the previous owner a continental cruiser cruiser taking regular trips to and from France to Kent. So good start to its life I suppose. I have had an e39 530d manual and lived the power produced but also the economy given around 30-35mpg around town. Now this is a dream world away with this e61 this is no where them figures. 21-23 mpg. It pulls strong in the auto box but constantly stays on the 16-to 30mpg on the instant read out on the dash, even when I'm light on the throttle in traffic I.e just inching the peddle a touch to get it going and letting the tick over pull it along. Just shock ings what I'm getting from a full tank. 330mls range. So is this normal I know it's a pre lci and maybe should of held out a bit longer for one. But this one had the goodies at the price was right scenario. I'm collecting the 2 thermostats from BMW this week so will be changing them asap. 2nd issue is it seems to wallow at speed. Like its shimmying down the road. And constant correction is needing to keep it in a straight line. Quite worrying on country roads and motor ways. Like a snaking feel when towing a trailer.

Love the car don't want to send it due easy repairs so over to you.

Thanks in advance (y)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i average around 33mpg with the 335d and thats a lighter car, and more longer trips than short but a varied mix,very very poor mpg if its stop start im afraid,,you dont buy the twin turbo for fuel ecomomy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe you can fix a few stuff that will give you better MPG but... pre-LCI or not, just as rasa golf said, it is first and foremost a 535d, twin turbo, and quite a big car... not sure if you could expect something else.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Consumption figures will obviously vary massively depending on journey type. Lots of short stuff will kill the numbers on on anything but especially for the big tractors. If the 535d is not spending most of it's time on a motorway it is probably the wrong motor for the job. As an owner of a couple of the M62 V8 petrols I am no stranger to terrible mpg figures. Average is low 20s but they will do 35 on a motorway. However I am prepared to forgive those numbers simply because they are such lovely engines. You may need to start repeating in your head, "Never mind the gas consumption, just feel the torque!"
Check again once you've had the stats done but unless your average journey is at a constant decent cruising speed and over more than about 20miles then I'd settle for 25mpg average and be happy with it.

WRT the wayward handling, does the car have run-flats on it? If yes then there's your answer. If not have the linkages and suspension bushes checked out. Based on my own experience with my E61 LCI I would suggest having the main rear wishbones looked at. They are not horrendously expensive to replace and it can make the difference between a car that handles like it should or one that feels like an Austin Princess cut'n'shut.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
ive had both my stats done on my 335d and my 330d,,,bmw original,,and 33 mpg is quite a good mpg as been discussed numerous times,,,also my egr stat is defunct now as ive blanked it after egr cooler failure..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alswick, I have exactly the same age car albeit an E60. I think your consumption figures are a little excessive although I would take an average over time rather than random trips on different days. On average when I do my usual school runs each day and the odd trip of around 50 miles on A and B roads I get around 450 miles to a tank. When I've taken it to France on holiday (3 occasions) I get around 600 miles to a tank and I cruise around 85mph. A friend joined us in his 66 reg 320d and he got a similar range to a tank of fuel so quite happy with that.

Changing the stats is a good idea and make sure you look into the gearbox heat exchanger stat issue too. From what I've seen this stat will regularly fail open and cause your car to run cold even with new Main and EGR stats and stick at around 65-70deg C. Some owners have found that replacement heat exchangers will fail almost immediately upon fitment, I believe someone went through around 5 OEM heat exchangers in succession with the same problem every time. Try clamping off the return line (hose that clips to the bottom of the fan shroud) and see if your car now comes up to temp (88-92deg C) within around 5 mins. If it does then its a simple fix to add an inline stat to the heat exchanger supply pipe and keep the car on temp. Also if your car is running cool then its likely it wont have done a DPF regen for a while and this could be hurting your mpg too. That's assuming you still have the DPF fitted?

Your 2nd issue could be a number of things. As snowblind has said I'd start with checking the tyres and obviously the tracking. Mine had runflats when I bought it and the main issue with these on an older car is the stress they put on the alloys. Both my rear wheels had cracks and this was on the original 18" MVIIs. I've since changed wheels and switched to normal tyres and whilst better I think the symptoms you refer to are more likely the general condition of tyre or indeed any suspension or tracking issue. Get these looked at and then take it from there.

I've had my 535d for almost 2 years and its been great and proved both reliable and good on fuel as my real world comparison with my friend's 320d prove. Over and above normal service items the things that I've needed to address in my ownership have been: windscreen wiper linkages, intercooler seals and hoses (improved the black smoke), water pump, vibration damper and CCC failure.

Enjoy your car and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Agree on stats being a great place to start.

Also, any evidence of hanging calipers - more brake dust on any particular wheel, or one disc hotter than the others? Might potentially explain poor MPG and peculiar handling sensations, especially if it's a rear caliper?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts