BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I drive on my E61 ( 2005 525d) is playing up. It’s the small screen non sat nav version. At first the screen will freeze and radio/cd will drop out at same time then it will come back on. The audio will come on and screen unfreeze intermittently with no real pattern. Disconnected battery etc but that’s not done anything.
As it’s not completely dead i’m bit confused what it could be?
Any thoughts or comments welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Usual candidates for things like the radio dropping out are the boot lid wiring (including the coax that runs from the head unit to the aerial in the tail) and also water in the electrics in the wheel well.

Just had my own E61 tailgate wiring done and one of the symptoms was the radio giving up. If you have any other warnings for things like tail/number plate lights, rear window heater not working, glass release not working and so on then take that as confirmation it is the wiring loom. Where the loom goes through the hinges is the weak spot.

There are DIY kits available if you want to do it yourself but is it not a trivial job.

Give it to your local main dealer and you can probably wave goodbye to a grand plus.

If it is just the radio then it may only be the coax lines that have gone. You can splice in a new section of coax line to fix it but you are still looking at pulling out large chunks of the interior trim to get at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usual candidates for things like the radio dropping out are the boot lid wiring (including the coax that runs from the head unit to the aerial in the tail) and also water in the electrics in the wheel well.

Just had my own E61 tailgate wiring done and one of the symptoms was the radio giving up. If you have any other warnings for things like tail/number plate lights, rear window heater not working, glass release not working and so on then take that as confirmation it is the wiring loom. Where the loom goes through the hinges is the weak spot.

There are DIY kits available if you want to do it yourself but is it not a trivial job.

Give it to your local main dealer and you can probably wave goodbye to a grand plus.

If it is just the radio then it may only be the coax lines that have gone. You can splice in a new section of coax line to fix it but you are still looking at pulling out large chunks of the interior trim to get at it.
Many thanks.
Did you have frozen idrive screen as well?
The only issue at the back is right reverse light out.
Would you happen to have link for one of the kits you talk about?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Stick this into a search and take your pick.

"bmw e61 tailgate wiring harness replacement"

I paid BMW to do it. Expensive but the work is guaranteed. They also did the washer hoses while they were in there.
It also means my interior trim doesn't look like the inside of a padded cell in a gorilla asylum which it probably would have ended up as if I'd done the work myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts