BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my ac is blowing cold but I never here the fan running. Surely the secondary fan should kick in whilst stationary ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
AC on doesn't mean the fan has to be on. Check the coolant temp on the instrument cluster secret menu.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC on doesn't mean the fan has to be on. Check the coolant temp on the instrument cluster secret menu.
I take it the coolant fan only operates when the engine is hit, I thought it cooked the Aircon rad ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes it cools all the radiators and the condenser as well. If you've never heard the fan come on and suspect a fault you can test it with a diagnostic scanner. Although I don't think the AC would work if the fan is faulty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reliably informed the cooling fan on the E60/61 lci is incredibly quiet and not the usual whoosh you get with most systems. As you say my a/c works, while cruising and in traffic, so it must be functioning as it should ?
Yes it cools all the radiators and the condenser as well. If you've never heard the fan come on and suspect a fault you can test it with a diagnostic scanner. Although I don't think the AC would work if the fan is faulty.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's not just on or off. It has multiple speeds and if it's at max cooling you will hear it for sure. Search for E60 instrument cluster secret menu and look at the coolant temp from there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been reliably informed the cooling fan on the E60/61 lci is incredibly quiet and not the usual whoosh you get with most systems. As you say my a/c works, while cruising and in traffic, so it must be functioning as it should ?
If you disconnect the sensor on the AC low-pressure pipe, the fan should run at max speed. It's on the left hand side on the foiled pipe. That should confirm it is running correctly. It gets very loud!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts