BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 E60 525d M SPORT - Run Flat Warning Indicator

Hello,

Is it possible to permenantly remove the run-flat warning from the E60 Display once RFT's are removed and repalced with normal (Falken 452's)?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
You don't need to, if anything it becomes more important.

The warning utilises signals from the ABS to detect a change in rolling radius and possible pressure loss. Not exclusive to the wheel or tyre type :thumbsup

Can you update your car specs to enable the title to be edited in accordance with the forum rules, YEAR / Exx / MODEL - Issue

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't need to, if anything it becomes more important.

The warning utilises signals from the ABS to detect a change in rolling radius and possible pressure loss. Not exclusive to the wheel or tyre type :thumbsup

Can you update your car specs to enable the title to be edited in accordance with the forum rules, YEAR / Exx / MODEL - Issue
Good idea/Bad idea to change 2 front first then rear 2? Rear RFT's have 4mm left and dont see the point in taking them off for the sake of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find it all crazy really. BMW have supplied cars with Run Flat Tyres which seem to be ever increasingly hard to get hold of and very highly priced. I think that the good old fashioned spare wheel in boot is the easiest and cheapest solution all around; and cant really see any advantages of having the run flats!

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Find it all crazy really. BMW have supplied cars with Run Flat Tyres which seem to be ever increasingly hard to get hold of and very highly priced. I think that the good old fashioned spare wheel in boot is the easiest and cheapest solution all around; and cant really see any advantages of having the run flats!
More room in the boot! I can't actually get a spare in mine....but a tin of aerosol gink will one day be tested. No problem with non-RFTs in pairs so long as they're on the same axle.

I like the pressure sensor though as it will at least give some warning of a slow puncture and maybe save a wheel from damage? What's not to like? (Unless you drive over cobbles a lot and it gives false warnings!)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I bought the spare wheel kit from BMW (£175) and as our boots have the space to hold it - job done. The 3 series owners aren't so lucky as they don't have the room for the skinny spare, and thus resort to the can of gunk that afcneal mentions

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I bought the spare wheel kit from BMW (£175) and as our boots have the space to hold it - job done. The 3 series owners aren't so lucky as they don't have the room for the skinny spare, and thus resort to the can of gunk that afcneal mentions
3 Series? Bloody cheek!.........

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having gone from a 3 to 5 series- I can say that both are as good as each other. 5 is alot bigger and sometimes feels like your carrying in excess of what you actually need, but for me (driving 70 miles per day) its a dream to drive and the extra space means I can buy more beer from Tesco when its on 3 for £20!

I have no issues with the ride quality on my current RFT's, and if anything think they turn into corners alot more aggressively (maybe that has something to do with the stiffer sidewall).

My issue is with the fact that 5 series are a popular company car, and these type of people tent to travel around alot... and should you be unfortunate enough to get a puncture the chances are you aint got a clue where the nearest garage is. Not a problem though becuase you can drive on RFT's for 100 miles... great... until you find out that most garages do not stock your size and you live 300 miles away.

I actually think that the best thing to do with run flats if you do have them fitted- is keep a spare worn one in the boot and if you do get a puncture and cant find one stocked local then you can at least get the old one swapped over (Assuming of course the garage you find can fit it).

I dread to think how much fun people had last month when the snow was really bad and deliveries were late and no one had stock.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
no offence intended afcneal - just saying we have the room, below the carpet is all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts