BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have 2009 E60 520d M sport on original battery Varta AGM 80Ah 800CCA. For the last 3 years, I am getting warnings of increased battery discharge but never had any problem in starting the car till date. The car starts easily even after 2 weeks of no use. The only issue had been that it powers off within a minute of switching off the engine possibly to protect the charge and the annoyance of getting a warning message all the times.

I am now thinking of replacing the battery as it is 11 years old and I am going to keep the car for a few more years. When I check for a replacement battery on websites like ECP, Tanya etc. they all are recommending higher-spec batteries 95Ah, 850CCA from Bosch, Varta etc. which are suitable for start-stop function (my car hasn't got it). Even the local garage also came back saying that the car needs a higher-spec battery as per their supplier.

I was hoping to replace myself with Varta using like for like spec, save £30 or so compared to a higher spec and possibly not need to register the new battery. Or shall I get the higher-spec battery and get it registered by the garage (or try myself).

Any advice on choosing between the same spec or higher spec would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If you need to save £30 on a battery then i suggest you get the exact same battery to save paying to code the new one in.
Personally i would put a bigger one in as the factory fitted one will only just be powerful enough and i like to have a bit extra as do many owners do.

·
5,877 Posts
As alan G said,but there is plenty of FREE ways of coding in new batteries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all

Thanks for all your prompt responses. I don't think I have a power drain issue as the car starts easily even after very long gaps. I did a voltmeter test a few days ago and all voltages were fine except at the starting of the engine where the voltage dropped marginally below 10v to 9.7v. I like the idea of having the extra capacity for the sake of £30 considering the car is also 11 years old now.

I have read the terms 'registering' and 'coding' the new battery on some forums. Not sure if both these terms are one and the same thing or it is a two-step process when replacing with a new higher-spec battery. Any suggestions on simple methods of registering/coding new battery would be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
'registering' and 'coding' are the same thing.
Not seen the free ways that edber mentioned perhaps he will give a link.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They are two different things.
One is used when the battery is replaced with a similar one, just telling the car it is new. The other is for when you change battery size or technology and need to tell the car all the details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All. I have shortlisted Bosch S5A13 AGM 95Ah 850CCA from Batterymegastore as a good branded higher spec option. This will be replacing original Varta 80Ah 800CCA. If I have got it wrong or any views about the seller then please let me know as I haven't ordered yet.

This means I would need coding and registering the new battery. I can either pay someone to do this or take the plunge and invest in a diagnostic cable/software to do it myself. The latter option would be more time consuming but more satisfying and I can reuse the cable again. Any suggestions or thoughts if it is not a good idea and any recommendations for the right kit to buy for doing coding myself.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks All. I have shortlisted Bosch S5A13 AGM 95Ah 850CCA from Batterymegastore as a good branded higher spec option. This will be replacing original Varta 80Ah 800CCA. If I have got it wrong or any views about the seller then please let me know as I haven't ordered yet.

This means I would need coding and registering the new battery. I can either pay someone to do this or take the plunge and invest in a diagnostic cable/software to do it myself. The latter option would be more time consuming but more satisfying and I can reuse the cable again. Any suggestions or thoughts if it is not a good idea and any recommendations for the right kit to buy for doing coding myself.
The coding software and cable are about 32 pounds, not only will you save money, you will be able to Help Yourself (and Others!) It a No Brainer.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
As bratty say's the cable is by far the better option as long as you know what you are doing.
Do some homework on google about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and ordered Exide EK950 instead from Tayna. It is still higher-spec than existing battery but £45 cheaper than Bosch. SO would need both coding and registering new battery.

Little early research suggests that I can get K+Dcan cable from eBay for £10-15 but need to research on coding software first. Or I can pay higher for the cable+software option. Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the link above. The video and other information were very useful to get me started.(y)

Have downloaded and installed INPA, NCSexpert etc from Bimmergeek. Hopefully these will work when the time comes. Now I need to source a reliable K+Dcan cable and driver. eBay seems cheapest from £12 onwards or I can go with costly ones like cable shack (£37) which are recommended for aftersale support. Hopefully I am not going to use these regularly. Anyone used EBay ones with success or any recommendations?

The battery has already arrived. Top service from Tayna. Feels bloody heavy. Tempted to install straightaway while I sort coding and registering in the next few days. Not going to drive a lot except one long motorway journey. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ebay cables are fine. Installing the battery now and registering the change later is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It won't harm it to be fitted for a short time before coding i don't think.
Tayna are a great bunch of lads i have bought several battery's from them and been there a few times they are very helpful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts