BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , need some help with my 525d e60.
It's a 2006 and have recently been struggling to start in the cold, the car will just sit there turning over but not starting , eventually leading to a flat battery.
On the occasions it does start it smokes white for a few mins and then goes normal.

I have changed the glow plugs and the module already thinking it was those however this doesnt seem to have cured the issue ( it has no glow plug errors but at one stage did have the module error) .

Does anyone have any ideas ? I would really appreciate any help as I'm at a wits end !!!!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
So there are no active codes even if it's not starting? What are you using for diagnostics. Can you check rail pressure while cranking with diagnostics? Have you tried using easy start or brake cleaner sprayed in the intake manifold to help start?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there are no active codes even if it's not starting? What are you using for diagnostics. Can you check rail pressure while cranking with diagnostics? Have you tried using easy start or brake cleaner sprayed in the intake manifold to help start?
Thanks for the reply mate, it was a snap on diagnostic at my local indy.
I have used easy start on a few occasions and it has started after turning over a while. Any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
If you can start with help of easy start it's probably low rail pressure while starting usually caused by leaky injector. Measure injector leak off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can start with help of easy start it's probably low rail pressure while starting usually caused by leaky injector. Measure injector leak off.
Thanks bud, what should the normal readings be ? Would I be able to check on the torque pro plug in? I have one of those I can easily check with if I know the readings it should be producing etc

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Injector leak off has to be measured manually. Leak off on idle per injector should be below 20 ml @ 2 minutes. If the values on some injectors are somewhere between 20-30 ml it still usually doesn't cause severe starting problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi when you say white smoke when trying to start could there be water in your fuel filter that would cause bad starting or a slight leak somewhere letting water in, john.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi when you say white smoke when trying to start could there be water in your fuel filter that would cause bad starting or a slight leak somewhere letting water in, john.
Hi there mate , I dont think there would be water in it , I always assumed it was due to feathering the throttle when trying to get it going etc .

Also forgot to mention the dpf has been gutted and replaced with a straight pipe

·
Registered
55 Posts
yes i reckon one or two injectors are dripping instead of spraying causing unburnt diesel and bad starting and white smoke.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
White smoke is usually water so could be just condensation in the exhaust pipe or a leaking EGR cooler if you are loosing coolant.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had white smoke on a mate's 530d M57; it was the EGR cooler. It had me going for a while, but when I blanked off the EGR stat and then removed the cooler, the problem went away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
White smoke is usually water so could be just condensation in the exhaust pipe or a leaking EGR cooler if you are loosing coolant.
I had white smoke on a mate's 530d M57; it was the EGR cooler. It had me going for a while, but when I blanked off the EGR stat and then removed the cooler, the problem went away.
Thanks guys, would the EGR cooler still be an issue if the EGR valve had been blanked?, also surely it wouldn't give me starting issues, would it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also new development, the only error which has now appeared again is the "Glow plug module 4203".
Is it worth changing the glow plug module again, maybe the one i ordered from autodoc was faulty?

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Thanks guys, would the EGR cooler still be an issue if the EGR valve had been blanked?, also surely it wouldn't give me starting issues, would it?
Depends if EGR cooler is still in place and how EGR is blanked. Still this should have nothing to do with starting problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Also new development, the only error which has now appeared again is the "Glow plug module 4203".
Is it worth changing the glow plug module again, maybe the one i ordered from autodoc was faulty?
What brand was the module? Another typical culprit is the power supply wire from alternator to glow module (the round connector).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends if EGR cooler is still in place and how EGR is blanked. Still this should have nothing to do with starting problems.
What brand was the module? Another typical culprit is the power supply wire from alternator to glow module (the round connector).
Hi Mate the EGR was coded out along with the remap.

The Module is a Hitachi however didn't have the branding stamped on it as such.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My EGR was valve was blanked but they use a small disc and sometimes it isn't the best fit. Now I always blank off the hoses which feed the cooler so there is no chance of water getting in. As @Clavurion said, it shouldn't mess with the engine starting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I gave up replacing the module based on advice from here and other forums. I have had 4203 for two years and it never affected the starting. Of course, I am not saying it is the same for you, but it would surprise me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gave up replacing the module based on advice from here and other forums. I have had 4203 for two years and it never affected the starting. Of course, I am not saying it is the same for you, but it would surprise me.
Thanks Mate, really confused on what i should do, have spent a lot trying to get this issue sorted with no resolve (as per usual with BMs!)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts