BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

BMW E60 520d (M47 engine) auto 2006, 100k on clock, regularly serviced.

Car wouldn't start this morning, was completely dead when I entered the key... I assumed it was the battery (which I think hasn't been changed for a few years). Installed a new battery but it still wouldn't start :(

So I disconnected the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) lead and it worked as normal. Probably didn't even need to replace the battery! Ran INPA and the following error codes were stored:

4A27 - Intelligent battery sensor
4A56 Power management, battery
4A37 Intelligent battery sensor
4A47 Intelligent battery sensor
4083 Brake light/brake test switch
5F56 ???
D37D ???
A111 Control-module fault
A557 ???
A559 ???
A46D ???
E714 ???

I reset all error codes, went out for a spin and checked again:

4A27 Intelligent battery sensor
5F56 ???
A111 Control-module fault
E714 ???

I have a feeling these are all related to the IBS but I'm terrible with all this electronic stuff, so I could be very wrong. Does anybody have any advice pleaseeeee?

·
Registered
772 Posts
5F56 ABS
A111 CAS ELV
E714 KLIMA

In INPA or Dis, you should check the battery charge status over 5 days. This would give a snapshot of past battery health before you disconnected the ibs lead. In the end you will have to replace the IBS lead, which will set you back 200 quid. The part is made by Hella. When you replace the ibs lead, you will need to let the car idle for at least 2 hours (3 hours I read it somewhere, tis?).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has been driving fine since I disconnected the IBS lead. I re-connected it last night and the car wouldn't start again.

Doing some reading online I realised that the IBS sensor is actually inbuilt into the lead so I bought a new one (part no 12427603567) which I sincerely hope is the correct one!

Here is a useful diagram, I bought cable number 1 with the attached senor (number 4).

http://www.bimmerscan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ibs-e1405300596847.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know if I need to code and register the new battery? Original battery was a lead battery 80ah and new one is lead but 95ah.

I've read many conflicting bits of information. Thanks :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
You do need to register a new battery but it isn't the end of the World if you don't.

You can read some reasons why as suggested by BMW in the screenshot below.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks chr15gb... I did register it using DIS. I've been reading online and many say you need to code the battery as the new one is 95aH and the old one is 80aH.....

Does anybody know if this is necessary ? If yes, how on earth do I go about doing this....God, something as simple as changing battery can cause this much headache!

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you have already registered it, I wouldn't get too concerned about the 80/95ah issue. You would have selected which capacity battery you were registering when you ran through the DIS process.
From memory, I only had either 80 or 110ah to choose from in DIS so a 95 sits in the middle. I wouldn't be concerned if you simply registered a like for like.

The main issue would be going from normal to AGM battery, for that you need coding as well as registering (NCS Expert).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks chr15gb. Just an update... I'm going to change the IBS lead later this evening.

The existing IBS lead (part 61129164348) seems to have been replaced with 12427603567. As a result the sensor pins differ and I need an adaptor (part 12517615476).

Bought a 2nd hand lead from eBay for £70. Bought the adaptor from BMW for £35 (absolute rip off but have no choice).

·
Registered
772 Posts
You should have spoken to Ed, he's very reasonable ;)

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f746/ibs-lead-t449153/

It's a three part kit; ibs cable, adapter and adapter lead. Technically, the adapter (more like an extension lead) could have been incorporated into the adaptor lead. On the new version, ibs lead has an angled nut and the orientation is different because you need to attach the adaptor on the side of the ibs lead. I connected the ibs lead to the battery first then to the car chassis.

I fully charged the battery prior to replacing the ibs lead. Deleted the histogram in INPA and registered in DIS v57. And finally I let the car idle for 2 hours. No issues so far.

You should code cas / LMA from 80Ah to 90Ah in NCS Expert. Follow LinusIT's guide, very straightforward:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f89/e60-battery-replacement-guide-t376425/

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jake13 - thanks very much for that helpful guide. Problems all sorted, for now.

IBS change:
Connected the new IBS lead (part 12427603567) - £70 used genuine part
Bought new leads that connect to the IBS (part 61129123572) - £20 from BMW

Battery change
Went from 80aH lead battery to 95aH lead battery
Installed the new battery (very straightforward, lots of guides online)
Cleared histogram using INPA (in INPA under Engine you need to choose your DDE module, there is Status option followed by an IBS option. Use the "Clear Histogram" option)
Coded new battery using NCS Expert and using the very helpful guide that Jake13 posted (see above post for pdf)
Registered battery using DIS Battery Registration using DIS - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

I will check for any error codes in a few days time but I think I should have the all clear. Thank you all for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts