BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 E60 530d with only 43Kmiles on it. The car is in good condition and has a full service history. I have very recently changed the oil breather from the original foam type to the newer plastic type. The car is now producing very noticeable blue exhaust fumes for about 3-4 seconds when starting from cold. Have i made an error in changing the oil breather or is something else wrong? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It could be that there is oil in the cylinders, if it keeps happening it would most likely be worn valve seals, if its only happened once forget about it could be something minor like a bit of oil was sucked in through when you turned the engine off, but if it keeps happening it's most likely your valve seals are worn ;)

Hope that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it not more likely that i haven't installed the oil separator properly? and in some way the allows oil into the cylinders?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Double check your work by all means incase you have fitted something incorrectly, also has your oil level noticeably dropped?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope the oil level doesn't seem to have moved. If i had installed the oil separator incorrectly could it cause such a problem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have also fitted the modified seperator and my car is doing the same as yours ,my oil level doesnt appear to have dropped so i havnt worried to much,cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello have you checked the turbo intake pipe (black hard plastic from air mass meter) for
excessive oil or the EGR valve for excessive carbon .there also could be oil in the inter cooler and inlet manifold if so the turbo could be on the way out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all fixed. The glow plugs controller unit had failed. As the car still started fairly well, didn't think it would be glow plugs. But it seems these engines are so good they can still have a good go at starting and just smoke alot when the glow plugs fail!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts