BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice / help here, I have a 2006 E60 525d Se that is just about to run out of warranty. When taking a left bend and accelerating the front near side wheel hit ruts in the road and the suspension produced a rattling/knocking noise like the arm bushes were away. I have also noticed that there is a small clunk when you go over a speed bump as the wheel hits the tarmac when it has gone over the bump. A colleague has the exact same car and the same issues. Both cars have been to the dealers and they spot nothing wrong, the service manager said he had an E60 with the same issues and attributed this to a characteristic of the car. This sounded like a total fob off to me, so I have had the suspension bushes etc checked independantly and no faults found.

Have any of you experienced the same or similar thing?

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
may be your run flats giving you a hard ride mate but I am not sure about the knocking. I have an E60 2005 and have not noticed the knocking you describe, yet.....

It only happens near side you say? The same knocking noise does not come from the drivers side for example? Red.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Run flats were suggested as the culprit, but I have now changed to std tyres and a spare wheel kit and still get the same noises. I have it booked back in with the dealers and an extended road test, i can get the noise every time from both sides. The lower arms were replaced by the dealers but this did not cure the noises.

Thanks for your input guys, and if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Many thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jack the car up on each side, and see if you can get any play when pushing/pulling on the (a) 3 and 9 o'clock position, and (b), the 6 and 12 o'clock position. I have an '05 E60, and was getting clonking going over bumps, and squeaking when turning the wheel, and only discovered it was a bush problem by carrying out the above action.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Could be a anti roll bar link, will it do it if you swerve the car side to side while going down a straight road?

I would be grabbing the anti roll bar and giving it a wobble up and down

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, maybe not the same problem but I have an E39 with the same noises but also creaks if you turn the steering when not moving. BMW garage say it is the Tension strut rubber mountings. I have bought new ones but not fitted them yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys

Firstly, on my 2005 E60, I recently had a creaking/squeeking coming from the front when you turned the steering wheel, mainly when stationery. It was picked up at the MOT and they wouldnt let me drive the car away as it was so dangerous. It was the outer ball joint on the rear front (there are 2) suspension arm. It was so loose, when the car was jacked up, you could grab the wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and move it about 1". A bit bad I tink in a car with only 50k miles!

On your faults though, the ratteling when going over the bumps etc, I have the same on my 2005 E60 530d. Im told its the anti roll bar links, however.....do you ever notice a slight rattle through the steering column/steering wheel also? I do.....which indicates the front control bushes (largest bushes behind front bumper). I had mine checked and they said ok, but someone pulling on one of the arms or trying to indicate play using a crow bar etc isnt the same as a 1700kg car hitting a bump! Try the anti roll bar drop links first, there the cheapest at only approx £40 per side. If your handy, there simple to DIY also.

Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Knocking from Suspension

All symptoms as everyone else, been into main dealers under warranty replaced anti roll bar bushes, track rods, steering rack, steering column (due to clonk noise when turning at low speed or stationary). As the problem still exists car going back to main dealers, if anyone is still under BMW warranty i suggest you contact BMW customer services and they may recognise this as a common fault.
In the Total BMW magazine issued January 2009 the buying guide for the 6 series which is same floor pan and suspension as the 5 series stated that any knocking or rattling from suspension will either be a ball joint, a bush or damper top mounts. I have suggested this to be dealer but they say all has been checked and ok. Help Required !!!

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had what sounds like a very similar noise from the front n/s of my 630i, most obvious at low speed, a 'clunky' sort of noise that seemed to be getting worse with time. I checked all the suspension that I could without finding anything worn or damaged. Finally I checked the tightness of the strut support bar that runs from the suspension tower to the centre of the bulkhead; and found that although tightish there was still room to tighten it significantly further. Noise disappeared!!!
I was fearing a bill of £1000+ for new shocks and suspension parts and it turned out to be something so simple. I suspect that the bar was taken off when my LPG conversion was fitted and not fully tightened after. Whew!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to revive this venerable thread but it helped me find an annoying clunk my car was producing. It was most obvious at low speed and sounded a bit like when a dealer
had forgotten to fully tighten the seat rails after replacing a MAT sensor. I checked the strut support bar with my torque wrench and that checked out OK. Since I had my
toque wrench to hand I also checked the six upper shock mount mount bolts and four of the six had backed off. Torqued them to spec and the clunk has gone. Result!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts