BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. As per title, one of the wheels is cracked (rear right), it was already welded 4 years ago and it held up pretty well until this year when I "ate" some sidewalk. Recently i've been having a few error messages about tyre pressure loss and I think I can link that to the crack.

While this bothers me a lot, it may also be an opportunity to upgrade my wheel sizes. My E60 is way too low. It's the lowest car i've ever driven. Everytime I go on a speed bump i'm afraid it may come in contact with something underneath (which has already happened several times in fact). My previous E46 didn't even know what a speed bump was, despite being equipped with 17"s as well. Thing is, I know absolutely nothing about wheels. I only know mine is style 122, and that it's 8Jx17, ET:20.

It's also a double opportunity because my front tyres are on their way out. Now would be the perfect time for a partial change.

Questions :
-is it possible to keep the 17"s on one axle and put 18"s on the other ? Or should all the wheels be equal in size ?
-is there any modern type of wheels that are compatible with an E60 ? Reason I ask this is because I saw damaged X1, X3, Serie 3 and 6 etc in the junkyard with 18"s wheels that look almost new. These cars i'm talking about are from ~2015-2016, with the X3 being from 2014 actually. Could a set of spoke 322 18"s fit my car for example ?

Look is totally NOT important, otherwise the style 122s would have been tossed in the bin a long time ago. I wouldn't mind having 2 different set of wheels on rear and front.

Here's what my sticker says about compatible sizes :

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link, quite helpful. So everything has to be 100% identical, 8jx17 (or 18) ET:20 ?

So far it seems the 144, 277 and 278 style could fit, that's already 3 options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts