BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put a new one on and it made no difference until i diagnosed a corroded main cable, it was still turning slowly with the new one until i repaired the cable and it’s been spot on since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just an update

The car is booked in to BMW for The safety recall. They could only give me a date of more than a week away.

The day I phoned and booked it the thing cut out on a dual carriage way and would not start. Mr Rac came and said starter motor is the reason it's not starting but it had enough life left to start on a jump.

I took it to my local garage who put a new starter motor on £350.

Starts lovely and drive it home and just as I slowed almost to a stop to turn into my road it went into limp mode 😥

Turned it of and on again and fine. Turned it off and got a yellow warning showing car on a lift.

So at least when it cuts out or goes into limp I'll be able to start it again. Still not great though. The garage said get the safety recall done although they did test the power coming from. Box and alternator and going to the starter and it was all good.

Possibly another problem then. When I bought it a management lite was on and the guy said it's just the egr valve. He reckoned that the garage was going to remove something if it caused the car probs but if never did for him or me unless that is what's causing the cut outs and going into limp ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well it sounds like you found the answer to your original problem, to change the starter the garage would have had to remove the inlet manifold which would include disconnecting 3 sensors and 2 vacuum lines, maybe something hasn’t gone back together as it should have, a quick diagnostic should find the problem.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts