BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have had the car for a couple of years and it occasionly throws up a fault or 2. Over the past 6 months occasionally it has been slow on turn over. If it takes a few seconds to start it throws up a transmission fault. If you stop the car and wait and start again it normally starts fine. In the last 2 weeks it started after a few seconds and showed the transmission message but when switched of and on again it would not start. Infact it was so sluggish it would ran the battery down. It started with a jump.

Well it happened again today at work and I called the rac. They tested the battery and he said it was old but there was enough juice to start it (even though the low battery light came on when it stopped turning).

He put on his jump start power pack and it started but struggled to start quickly.

He said it's either a starter motor or the auto gearbox. He said something in the gearbox could be making the engine or starter struggle to turn.

I've read things about batteries on this model and year.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of it being a starter motor , battery or more worryingly the gearbox?

It was showing a transmission message when it take a while to turn over and start.
At the moment it's our only car so I need to get it sorted and reliable. But I am aware that it's old and probably not worth taking to bmw to get fixed. Can't afford lots as the wife had been laid off from work.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Magnus.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The campaign (0061070500) affects all E6x vehicles, manufacturing period 1/2003 - 7/2010.
Oh blimey. Didn't see that. Do you reckon that could cause turn over probs and the transmission fault message?

I'll type it into Google and check that out. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Phone your local BMW dealer and ask them to check for any outstanding recalls.
They will say if it's been done or not and if not book you in for the job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll do that thanks Alan. I was just thinking though, the rac man jump started it from his power pack from the terminals under the bonnet and it was still sluggish! So would that rule out the possible recal fault for this problem. ??
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't rule out anything using theory, I had a similar problem where it never sounded like it was spinning over fast enough and was hard to start, i tried a new battery, no better, new starter, no better, periodically it would stop charging, new alternator, no better, then it failed to crank over completely, i joined two jumper cables together and connected from the battery+ to the jump start point under the bonnet and all was well until i disconnected. This pointed me to the main battery cable. E60’s had a recall for the battery cable but it was only for the connection where the cable went through the boot floor. The cable on the underside of the car on mine had corroded to the point where no power was getting to the starter but was connecting with the ancillaries from another cable directly off the battery, try a good jumper cable or a pair joined together from the battery to the jump point and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
But wasn't it slow when they put a jump pack on the under bonnet jump point ?..
That would rule out the above but still a good point for anybody having this sort of problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Rac man said his jump pack is very powerful and should have spun it over no problem.. yesterday when I turned it over it started but again sluggish and after it made a funny noise I'm guessing from the starter that then stopped it turning over. Then unranked it again and it took a while to start then this message came up as it does when it takes a while to start. But when you turn off engine and leave it and try again it normally starts fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes Rac man said his jump pack is very powerful and should have spun it over no problem.. yesterday when I turned it over it started but again sluggish and after it made a funny noise I'm guessing from the starter that then stopped it turning over. Then unranked it again and it took a while to start then this message came up as it does when it takes a while to start. But when you turn off engine and leave it and try again it normally starts fine. View attachment 271068
rac man tried to jump it after whacking a lot of heat into the starter turning it on its own battery, hence when you leave it a while it turns over fine. It beats me why you look for reasons to discount a suggestion rather than just try it, it’s already worked for me with identical symptoms. It will take two minutes to clip the leads on, try it on a first start then you will know for sure instead of looking for reasons to fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Its a great suggestion and i will try it. I am not very good with cars really but even i can do that. I didnt say I wouldnt try. It's just because the RAC guy suggested what he thought and the reasons why that I thought that would be the same as your suggestion.

So I just try the + from the battery to the + under the bonnet where you jump start. Haven't got to worry about the negative ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's right, forget about the negative for this test and do it at a first start attempt whilst everything is cold, There's another known fail point that can cause the same symptoms and that's the earth lead that runs from the engine to the bodywork down by the steering rack, you can check that in the same manner by putting a jump lead from the earth jumpstart point on the front suspension tower to anywhere on the engine. both free and easy basic elimination checks, These cars are known to suffer from lazy starter motors from time to time but eliminate the easy stuff before you start buying expensive parts as i did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so today I tried the lead from the positive terminal to the positive jump.point and no joy. Just a slow turn over. Tried the earth test too. Next door neighbours battery pack flipped out and didn't even want to reset when attached. Then she jumped it from her car no problems.

When cranking it you do get a couple of clonks and funny scraping sounds occasionally.

I wonder if it's worth trying a new starter motor now.

Any suggestions?

I will ring bmw in the morning for recall

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah if it’s making a noise then the next step would be to change the starter motor, its much easier to do if you remove the inlet manifold first, where are you located?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that. That's strange isn't it that the old one was ok. And when you put this new one on soon the problems stopped totally?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts