BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E53 X5 3.0d smoke on cold start

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Miki88 
#1 ·
I have not long bought an E53 X5, however I have noticed a problem. On cold start I get blue smoke from the exhaust, it is fine under acceleration and when starting any other time during the day.
Any advice to cure this would be appreciated.

#4 ·
If it's any consolidation to the new car paranoia, I bought mine (E53 facelift M57N) 18 months ago with 35k on it. Done just over 20k with it since then and it's been brilliant - I absolutely love it. Not the fastest machine in the world but I like that it encourages you to behave yourself and it's quick enough. It's brilliantly comfortable and practical: dog, luggage, car full of business people to meetings, towing 2.7 tonnes on the back. Sometimes all at once. And turning in 34-35 mpg or about 28 if towing heavy.

I had a few teething niggles: non functioning Webasto heater (solved by a legendary chap in France who re-soldered it for a very reasonable donation); slight gearbox oil leak (great excuse to do a fluid and filter change); and a couple of minor odds and ends (the little boot rubber had perished - first world problem that was).

There's a lot of keyboard warriors who will attest that they're no good in snow - but that's entirely down to running aggressive summer rubber which makes them handle better in normal conditions. On winter tyres they're right up there as X drive is fundamentally a very good system.

Watch out for gearbox oil leaks (the sump gaskets go). I have a suspicion that people not noticing leaks may have been an underlying cause of a lot of failures that they have a reputation for - as the box itself is used in hundreds of other cars so there's no particular reason why it should be unreliable in this application. And watch the engine oil level - some of them do use a bit especially if worked hard. Some consumption generally reckoned to be normal albeit people's experience is very varied without apparent rhyme or reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.