BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hoping someone might have had something similar happen or might direct me in the right place.

Yesterday afternoon I went to start the E53 2005 diesel, but got a nice little error 'Trans failsafe prog.' and it would not even turn over or make any sound.
First thought was the battery as I also have a small battery drain somewher I've been trying to locate and i havent started the car for several days so thought it might be that - tested it and it showed 'low charge' on my little Lidl tester. So i've got it charging now and hoping that will fix the issue (but not really optimistic tbh).

Second thing I did was read out the error codes, and I got this -

The telephone, CD changer and aux heater are all disconnected hence the error.
But the Transmission control unit, DSC and EGS error?? Is this some sort of module that has gone bad? - Odd thing is I drove the car on Sunday I think, with no issues, no errors, nothing - worked perfectly. It appears this error came up after the two days of raining we had in Birmingham - I read it could be some sort of water ingress into compartments that house a module under the hood? But I have no idea where its located..

Any suggestions where to look - Im assuming the battery will not be at fault at this stage, but still waiting for it to charge - will try starting the car around noon today.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:
Nevermind everyone. In my infinite wisdom I forgot I was removing some fuses that were not necessary to locate that battery drain (i.e. cd changer etc) and one of the fuses was 'Garage door opener' which I thought I would never need, but apparently the same fuse is also used under 'Engine control' with a few others - so popping that back in (fuse number 5) fixed the issue. Car starts no issues, no errors.

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
UPDATE:
Nevermind everyone. In my infinite wisdom I forgot I was removing some fuses that were not necessary to locate that battery drain (i.e. cd changer etc) and one of the fuses was 'Garage door opener' which I thought I would never need, but apparently the same fuse is also used under 'Engine control' with a few others - so popping that back in (fuse number 5) fixed the issue. Car starts no issues, no errors.
That explains. That fuse is also good to remember because a failed engine oil level sensor or its wiring can cause non start issue due to this fuse wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts