BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I tried searching online for a similar issue, but cant seem to find similar problems anywhere.

The car makes a whining noise in the engine bay, cant put my finger on where its coming from.
You can also hear it distinctly in the cabin. And it only occurs 1000+RPM, when its idling under 1000, theres no noise.
The whining also gets louder with higher RPM's, and has a constant pitch. If I let go of the gas pedal, and the RPM's slowly decrease, the whining also slowly goes down, but never stops.

Hard to explain the exact noise. Its not a belt whine, and doesnt sound like an air intake/exhaust whining sound you would imagine.

I tried recording the exact noise that you would hear in the cabin in the video, attached. You can hear the engine, and besides it a whining/whistling noise.
Couldnt get a recording in the engine bay cause of outside noises.

Is there anything else I should be looking at, or perhaps someone had the same issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have you tried with the aircon switched off as a quick diagnostic? All of my BMWs (E46, E63 and E53) make whining noises when the aircon gas gets low. No idea why exactly but it seems to be some sort of resonance in the aircon pipes.

Failing that quick check, I'm with Clavurion above as to the next most likely contenders...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried with the aircon switched off as a quick diagnostic? All of my BMWs (E46, E63 and E53) make whining noises when the aircon gas gets low. No idea why exactly but it seems to be some sort of resonance in the aircon pipes.

Failing that quick check, I'm with Clavurion above as to the next most likely contenders...
Aircon is empty I at the moment. And is switched off.
Worth mentioning, it does make a weird noise when you turn it on. Not sure if related, but was planning on filling it up over the weekend anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had a chance to get under the car and have a look at the exhaust manifold.

Dont know how I didnt notice this earlier, but my turbocharger is leaking oil...

However, I now believe the whining is coming from either the exhaust manifold or the turbocharger at this point. But would a turbocharger make this noise all the time? Wouldnt it be just when accelerating, and would stop when you let go off gas?
In my case the whine persists whether Im pushing the pedal or not, as long as its above 1000rpm it will make that noise.

I also made a video of what it sounds like from underneath the car. You can also see the exhaust manifold. I found some old receipts from last owner, and apparently the exhaust manifold was changed January 2018 (Im no expert, but it doesnt look like it was? and the price on the receipt was in excess of £400 and most of it was for the part? That cant be right!? I checked on ebay, a cast iron manifold is about £65..).

IMG_20190808_193305.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
That original stainless steel exhaust manifold costs a lot more than after market cast iron ones. To me that sounds like quite typical worn out turbo whine. You can remove the intake tube from MAF to turbo and check how much play the axle has (no longitudinal play accepted, transversal should be less than 1 mm).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That original stainless steel exhaust manifold costs a lot more than after market cast iron ones. To me that sounds like quite typical worn out turbo whine. You can remove the intake tube from MAF to turbo and check how much play the axle has (no longitudinal play accepted, transversal should be less than 1 mm).
Will have to probably rebuild the turbo I assume.
Would you say its worth changing the exhaust manifold to a cast iron one if Im doing the turbo work anyway?

And will try removing the intake tube over the weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts