BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue on my car is a bit dark/dull and I don't like the way the chrome strips around the side windows look. Also, the black door strips between the windows is faded and scratched - somebody most have tried to break in the past before I owned it.
And the chrome is in poor condition in places.

View attachment 3197
View attachment 3198
View attachment 3199

A local paintshop are checking the car tomorrow but believe that for £80 - £100 they can repaint for me.

I've seen gloss shadowline on BMW sport models that look really good. I think it's also out there in matt.

Possibly the door strips would be best in gloss with the chrome trims in matt?

What are your opinions on what looks best?

Any advice on the type / make / colour code of paint to use for a long lasting effect?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I do it?

So I've had a quote for the work. Chrome window trim and strips sprayed matt black then the strips lacquered to give a high gloss effect. £160 quote knocked down to £140 cash. Car will be away for 2 days. Advised not to put through car wash as the brushes may scratch off the non-lacquered matt black paint. I normally hand wash anyway but a little worrying. What do you think? Could get this done as soon as tomorrow so hoping for some feedback/advice.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the look of the car from the front plus have seen replacement grills (but about £50) on ebay so being a bit cowardly and doing one thing at a time.

In the ideal world the trims would be removed and powdercoated for a more permanent finish. Do you think I should be worried about the paint flaking off the chrome too easily? He said he'll key it first but that it's not an easy thing for paint to adhere to.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mark - I have looked at these but a variety of mixed reviews about how good they are, length of time to apply, durability etc made me decide to get it done professionally.

Also I wanted to get the black gloss effect on the window panels.

The car's being collected tomorrow first thing and will be back some time on Friday so I'll soon know if it was the right choice!

Cheers,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before and after pics

So, I've had the car back. Overall I'm happy and I think it looks much better. On the downside the glossed parts do look a bit orange peely up close....but then if you inspect any of your paint work up close I'm guessing you'll see imperfections. Anyhow....here are the pics.....

Just to find some nice 18" MVII alloys, sports mirrors and maybe some tasteful tinting on the back windows and I'm there (and totally broke!)

View attachment 3236

View attachment 3237

View attachment 3238

View attachment 3239

View attachment 3240

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.