BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talking strut bars with a mate last weekend, now he is one switched on kiddie so it gave me food for thought when he told me his friends wife had borrowed the car (unknown type) and banged it up the kerb at speed, ordinarily it would have knackered the wheel but because of the strut bar fitted it actually wrote the car off, the bar broke loose doing all sorts under the bonnet but not before twisting the chasis.......any thoughts on this

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
It might need checking on a jig... But if the brace broke BEFORE twisting the chassis, then the engine bay will take the brunt, not the chassis.

But what guarantee's have you got, that the brace broke before twisting the car ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If she hit the gutter hard enough to break the strut brace and cause other damage then I don't think the strut brace is to blame, sounds like she would have knocked the front end half out of it regardless.

Cheers
JM

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I'm sorry - I've re-read your original post.... I see what your saying now.

So if you was to buy the car back, it'd need jigging, then it'd need a VIC check to make sure the world was done properly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no no i dont want the car i was just wondering if this could be a reason not to fit one, afaik loads of people on here have them with no problems its just the guy that told me is some sort of goofy car genius, anyone else id have had whipped by my manservant

·
Registered
7 Posts
It depends on the insurance company and how they value the car..........It stiffens up the chasis so theoreticallycould have more of an impact in a crash.....

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Freak accident Rumple. Its only held on with a few screws. If it comes off during an impact it'll wreck the bonnet, wing and probably the inner wing. Can't really see it doing any damage to the chassis..

It'd have to be helluva smash for it to come loose, or at the least turret would have to move back/sideways so the car would be goosed anyway and any other damage would be done afterwards by the brace coming loose

HTH :thumbsup

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is proof that strut-braces increase rigidity. If you've got one fitted there may be less chance of banging it up a kerb in the first place as you might have made it round the bend. Lets face it, hitting a curb at speed is always going to be messy?

(Kerb/Curb? Who knows, it's early.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts