BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some help and guidance please. I am rubbish when it comes to this sort of stuff! Please help :)

I have a 2004 convertible which I am desperate to upgrade the sound for.

I like the standard business single disc cd player and would like to keep that (I read somewhere that it is a Alpine?).

I wanted to know what the speaker sizes are and what I could do to replace them.

Am I correct in assuming that the front doors have a 2.5" mid range and 1" tweeter (near the inside door release handle) and a 6.25" mid bass towards the bottom?

Also, does the rear quarter panel contain the same 6.25" mid bass and an addiotional 1" tweeter aswell?

Guys, basically I wanted to know what the speaker sizes are and what are the recommended sizes to replace these with.
Also, I am looking at getting a small active sub, something like the Kenwood KSC-SW01 to put under the passenger seat - would this connect direct to the head unit?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will have a look at these threads.
Would you happen to know if I would be able to hook up a Active sub to the standard HU?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes you can get speaker level audio only from the back of the Headunit.

You may or may not have an amp in the boot depending on your vehicle options, so you would want to tap the audio before it passes through the amplification and filtration that.

Line level audio is not available from the HU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"You may or may not have an amp in the boot depending on your vehicle options, so you would want to tap the audio before it passes through the amplification and filtration that."

How would I find out if the car is equipped with an amp? And what do I do if it is not?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You would want to look behind the carpet on the left hand side in the racking for an amp. You can see the amp in this picture.

If it is or is not fitted with an amp, your options do not change much, only the wiring, and your choices for which wires to tap.

Amp cars: All speaker lines from HU go to amp in a nice bundle along the door sills
Non Amp cars: Speaker lines split up near the HU and away to the speakers.

Amp cars: Amp has a Sub woofer filter and amp circuit, with power and outputs for active parcel shelf subwoofers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah thank you. I havent got the HK system, so I am going on the assumption that its not amped. I will have a root around this weekend.
Cheers for the help :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts