BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all !
I really hope I can get some help on this,
its a 316ti auto, and idles bad and cuts out sometimes when coming to a halt, but only when the engine is nice and warm.
when cold it ticks over fine and doesn't stall.
ccv is fine.
has the correct engine oil.
cam chain tensioner is the updated one.
also the engine sounds a bit like a diesel when ticking over which the garage says is normal for this engine but im just not buying it, there is no way anyones gonna tell me they all sounded like that from new, its a bmw not a lawnmower.

any help would be great,

thanks for reading.
dave.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,193 Posts
Hi,

Diesel sounds are generally caused by a worn tensioner or alternator pulley, the vacuum pump can also give a knocking sound. Removing the oil filler cap will increase any vac pump knock if it's that.
The cutting out sounds like it may be a valvetronic issue as this only operates when the engine has warmed up.
What was the error code?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello mate, thanks for reading,
the guy in the garage told me the only error code I was getting was for the thermostat/map.

BMW E46 Z3 316I 318I THERMOSTAT HOUSING BEHR OEM 11531437085 C734: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I don't know the code its self , he didn't tell me.
on tick over the car seems to be hunting but only sometimes (mostly when hot) and is a little lumpy other then that.
im going to remove and clean the vanos sensors ,vacuum pump,maf,throtle body,and ccv. and see if that helps.
anything other then that im knackerd simply because im not a mechanic .

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,193 Posts
Try running it with the maf sensor unplugged, if it smoothes out then your looking at air leak or bad maf.
You could test for air leaks by spraying some carb cleaner around the intake hoses and joints and if the idle changes, it indicates a leak. Do this on a cold engine though (fire risk).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's great !!
I will try that this Saturday,
and thanks again mate ! I really appreciate the response, and will post Saturday with the results .

many thanks,dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts