BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, this is my first time posting here hope someone can help..

This morning, i turned my car on and it started as usuall, I put my foot down on the acellerator and noticed that there was no power, rev's wouldnt go up.

So i pulled up on the side of the road, and parked it for a while.

turned it off, waited a few minutes and tried turning it on.. it turned on but again no output from the accelerator.

turned it off again, waited another few minutes, then tried firing it up, this time it wouldnt fire at all. The EML light came on.

When i turn the key, the engine cranks over and over, and if i keep the key turned long enough it sounds as though it almost catches but as soon as i let go of the key it dies again.

I've tried all the basics, and even had a RAC (recovery) man have a look and he couldnt work it out either (but wasnt really expecting him too, just needed a tow back home)

I've looked on several posts, and i can see there is some sort of breather pipe that is known to collapse, but i dont know if this is a problem on the n42 engine or m43 (the sites i found all reported m43)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? has anyone experienced this type of thing before?

(it has fuel, the sparks are new, battery has been tested on a voltmeter... definately isnt something common)

oh and by the way its a manual, petrol, 2004 model

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks budy,

actually no, i just googled the mass filter cleaning jobby ... from what i found, if this was the problem id be having a low revs problem? where my motor doesnt fire at all...But seeing as it looks pretty simple and is the closest to the problem i have found, i think i will give that a go tommorow.

Is i worth disconnecting the MAF and then trying again? just to prove it is a MAF problem?

I also seen some people with similar problems reporting it could be the CAM sensor? anyone know if that could be the problem?

theres also a noise i havent ever noticed, or paid attention to that comes on when i turn the ignition to 2nd notch, kinda like a buzz or grrrrt noise (kinda :) think that noise could be the fuel pump, does the fuel pump make a noise when the ignition is turn to second notch?

any help greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The noise you hear is the fuel pump.

You need to get the fault codes read for the engine ECU, I just hope it's not the famous chain slip. :frown

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello just wanted to update... the next morning I tried turning it over again, and it was pretty much dead, just clicked, but i figured that was due to amount of cranking i had been doing the night before which probably drained the battery.

So i had a mate pop round with a battery charger, gave it a charge for ten minutes and on the off chance i tried it again, and to my suprise it actually sputtered into life. but the idle revs were very irratic, kinda like the car was breathing heaviliy, and then eventually it died again, but would start again, and stay alive for 20-30 seconds before dying.

So i looked at the suggestion above regarding the MAF sensor, and reseached the symptoms of a faulty MAFsensor. it didnt seem like a suitable fix for the car when it wasnt starting at all but did seem to fit the new problem of rough idling. so i got some MAF cleaner spray, removed the MAF carfully, and sprayed it over ten times as recommended, and replaced it.

Stuck it back in, and tried it... works, and idles fine (maybe even better than before :) phew i have my bimmer back. reset the warning light and so far it hasnt come back on. I may change the MAF completely one day, seeing as its so simple...

Thanks for your help to the guy above, hope this helps someone else one day!! Fixing your own car using forums like this is a god send!! can only imagine what BMW would have charged me for diag and repair. in the end all sorted for less than 20quid, and a hour of labour.

:)

(very strange that it started the next day though, could it be becuase the weather was allot warmer? 4-5 degrees as apposed to 0ish degrees the day of the problem)

anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted, if you get another MAF don't get a cheap item from Ebay, it WILL give you problems. Get a OE(Original Equipment) spec item. :thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts