BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions

When undoing the head bolts the bolt at the back left next to exhaust manifold was completely loose not broken just loose which is where the gasket was leaking all the rest were tight any ideas why that particular bolt was undone? I have never seen anything quite like it.(I will get the head skimmed)

Secondly could anyone suggest a good gasket set there are so many on the market with wildly fluctuating prices I am confused which would be the best value for money, I will need the full set.

Finally I need to remove the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley I know I should probably have done it before stripping the engine, is it a right hand thread or left hand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
When mine went that same bolt sheared at the block, was a pita to remove, think it must get hot at that rear corner and the expansion just rips the studs right out.

As far as a gasket brand, I used elring found they were a lot better quality and had better beading than a lot of others out there, also used their studs - worked for me.

I didn't remove crank pulley not sure why you would need to, but it should be standard thread. Hope you get sorted mate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments I suppose i was lucky that the head bolt just went loose and not snapped, and as a matter of fact I did actually buy the Elring gasket set and head bolts,
Because of time constraints I have only just bolted down the head, so far everything seems to be going ok i'll keep my fingers crossed.
I wanted to remove the pulley to renew the oil seal as its leaking quite badly so thank you for the info... all the best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts