BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Ive got a m43 1.9 engine in my car, as much as i love the car i could do with a little more oomph,

After doing a bit of searching ive seen you can use the crank ( with a bit of tweaking ) from a m47 320D in its place. Has anyone found out what rods and pistons are needed though as i cannot seem to find this? Any other major parts?

I also came across today someone that put the 1.8 head from a m42 onto a m43 block before supercharging. Would this be worth while? Any power gains? Would you still have a 1.9 engine ?

Im not wanting to go and drop a 6 cylinder in there would like to keep 4cylinder and just play with what ive got.

Thanks to anyone who replies

·
Registered
33 Posts
s50b30 pistons are usually best to use for this but will require the block to be bored out to 86.4mm, and the conrods from the m44 are also used as they are forged as standard, and mate these along with the 320d m47n crank. if i recall correctly the s50b30 pistons do need to be milled down something like 3.5mm or use a thicker headgasket to get an 11:1 compression ratio, but dont call me on the last part... theres plenty of info on it if you search up "s42 replica engine" into the likes of google :) hopefully i've helped some, but by doing a bit of reading, you may need deep pockets unless you know one of those guys that can get you anything for fooooortay quid!

·
Registered
33 Posts
oh, and i also read somewhere ages ago about e39 530 v8 pistons being usable (M60B30?) someone correct me on that if it's wrong, dont wanna be giving false info!

Just read, you've got the 8v engine in your car! sorry, i've been giving info for m42 and m44 engines, not sure if the m43 shares much of the same tbh... good luck buddy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts