BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
SMG for more fun but manual if you dont like a huge bill for a potential grenaded or faulty SMG box which is more common on the big power M3's most are driven only one way the hammered way and the box and drivetrain at the end of the day takes the brunt of the savagery and lunacy....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Driven both, the SMG box is great on a cross country blast and very quick, but at slower speeds very clunky and difficult to drive smoothly. The severity settings i found pointless as you nearly always want a quick change, and its still clunky at low speeds even on the lowest setting.
Never tried the launch control!

I'd always go manual but that's a personal preference :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Driven both, the SMG box is great on a cross country blast and very quick, but at slower speeds very clunky and difficult to drive smoothly. The severity settings i found pointless as you nearly always want a quick change, and its still clunky at low speeds even on the lowest setting.
Latest software update for SMG gearbox has vastly improved the gear changes my mates '03 M3 :D

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Latest software update for SMG gearbox has vastly improved the gear changes my mates '03 M3 :D
is that expensive and where would you get it done ?? nice 1
Not sure about the price as he had other work done at the same time and he uses the Indy Darren Wood at Stockport, South Manchester.
A bit of a trek for yourself but maybe worth a phonecall to see how much they charge and what the s/w update actually does? ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Personally I'd go for the Manual, I had an SMG, it was fine for cross country and worked really well when I booted it, problem was that 99% of my time was just cruising or around town, it was really jerky and difficult to drive smoothly. If I buy another M3 it will definitely be a manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts