BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the moment its a 2002 325ti ..... how much will it set me back to do the conversion and in your opinion is it worth doing?

thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
LiLo, I love your style mate:thumbsup

Unfortunately it may be more costly than you first imagined though:frown

The first thing you ideally need to do is find a complete donor. Being a compact you may have issues with the rear diff, prop shaft etc.

I believe the E46 M3's are still fetching strong money. It is definitely worth looking into though:thumbsup

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm i feared that....
imagine it though.... small light chassis.... 333 bhp :D
maybe a supercharger :p

i could possibly be getting a touch carried away here, getting rather excited!
lol

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hmmm i feared that....
imagine it though.... small light chassis.... 333 bhp :D
maybe a supercharger :p

i could possibly be getting a touch carried away here, getting rather excited!
lol

Getting excited about it is the best bit:hihi Figuring how to pay for it can be another:rofl

A supercharger would be great but it would be worth gaining Boostist opinion as his territory is Turbo/Superchargers:thumbsup

I would imagine cost wise the M transplant may outweigh the Charger due to the work involved. However I could be wrong as the chargers do not come cheap:frown

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
being that you have mentioned it.... the age old question, turbo or supercharger? in your opinion? (you asked ofr it :D) haha

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just to give you a few ideas,

You can fetch a M3 engine 3.2 litre (333bhp) with roughly 60k for about 5k
Im not to sure on how much the superchargers are only know about the 11,000 ESS Supercharger when increases power almost double i think.

But personally on superchargers I would go for ESS and second Active Autowerke

Btw mate, doing that to a 325ti would be like a dream to most people and if you do it, it's going to be hard work but the end result will be like 'this was well worth it' :)

Hope that helps & good luck

·
Registered
884 Posts
If the engine/charger is going to really mount up, cost-wise, why not just chop in the Compact and buy an M3? It's a much better looking car. Or is it the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' effect you're after?

·
Registered
46 Posts
A company that will do it for you

hi man i was looking into doing the same conversion to a 323 coupe. a company i am in touch with will do everything you need for £1700. you also need to supply them with an engine and most of the bits.
if you need the email address of the company i will forward it to you no problem.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I agree with A20RYM. I also admire your style! Would also need loads of suspension mods and an LSD.

A charger might be the way forward. http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2850/article.html

Remember to check out the meets section as we could do with a few people like you for any SW meets!
well ive already got a set of koni coilovers on the way for it..... thinking anti roll bars and poly bushes all round.... front strut brace, and probably rear strut brace. how much could i pick up an LSD for?

yeah ive already posted saying i would be up for it. when and where?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the engine/charger is going to really mount up, cost-wise, why not just chop in the Compact and buy an M3? It's a much better looking car. Or is it the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' effect you're after?

alot of my mates have said the same thing....and i can see where your coming from mate..... but the thing is, any body can save up the cash, wonder out and buy themselves an M3, and dont get me wrong, it probably is a better looking car.

but i want something that you dont see all the time, or more, like you say.... the whole 'oh look theres a 325ti, i'll blow past him in my astra vxr, focus st, civic type R etc' only to find that actually the baby compact is packing a meaty 300 brake punch :D

see that really does appeal to me. if there was one thing i could spend my money on it would be my car so.... why not?

only thing thats holding me back and not jumping on ebay and gettin myself an M3 lump right now, or charging it is the god awfull fact that i am only 18..... and my insurance is, well frankly astronomical already as you can imagine.... hmmmm what a dream though!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi man i was looking into doing the same conversion to a 323 coupe. a company i am in touch with will do everything you need for £1700. you also need to supply them with an engine and most of the bits.
if you need the email address of the company i will forward it to you no problem.
nice one mate! will bare that in mind!

·
Registered
884 Posts
only thing thats holding me back and not jumping on ebay and gettin myself an M3 lump right now, or charging it is the god awfull fact that i am only 18..... and my insurance is, well frankly astronomical already as you can imagine.... hmmmm what a dream though!
Good god, another one! I actually don't want to know the figure for your insurance. 300 bhp at 18? I CERTAINLY understand the appeal, but I would also question the wisdom. That is a bollock load of ponies! I'd have done it given the chance, but that don't make it smart either!

Well, whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Im 18 and have a 318is coupe, insurance suprised me at only £1400 but then i do live in the sticks! Suprisingly i could insure a 328i saloon for only £300 more a year?!? The explanation - the coupe is considered more prestige and performance than the saloon, even though it has a smaller engine?

Insurance is a strange world

1 - 14 of 14 Posts