BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy people,

I have read alot of c**p about this subject, everything from super glue and insta-gasket to paying the hundreds of £'s for a BMW replacement :eek

In my opinion, this how-to finds the perfect balance between finish quality, price and level of difficulty. The product used is a Butyl tape/sealant called ARBOSEAL, as seen below. This stuff is commonly known as 'glazing tape', but also comes from the same family of sealant tapes used in the composites industy to sustain a sealed tooling bag under the extreme temps and pressures required for curing hours on end. So im confident these seals will now well out-live my car.

I brought a 12-metre roll on eBay for £7, at the dimensions of 12mm x 3mm, perfect for snuggly fitting in the seals void. I used 5m of the roll.
IMAG0008.jpg

So lets begin.

1. In my case it was necessary to pull the entire trim back all the way down to the bottom two door corners. I then began removing the layers of glue, paste, gasket that had accumulated from previous owners failed attempts at fixing this problem, until i was back down to the original rubber surface. This was achieved with a combination of a knife, stanely knife, wet and dry, etc..
IMAG0004.jpg

2.This process was also necessary on the door seals themselves..
IMAG0006.jpg

3.Once both surfaces were cleaned up i used a little solvent to rid the surfaces of any remaining grease/dirt.
IMAG0010.jpg

4.Now you're ready to start to apply the tape. This should be done slowly, whilst applying plenty of tension to the loose end of the tape to avoid any pleating that may compromise your finish. It is important to work the tape into the seals with your thumbs, up and down the length of the tape a couple of times.
IMAG0011.jpg

5. Now you can remove the backing tape, a little at a time and begin bonding the trim to the seal. This needs to be done taking your time and paying attention to the fit, or you'll get to the end and find slack.
IMAG0013.jpg

...And you're done. Hope this helps.

Regards,
PotNuts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just did this- thanks for the excellent tip. It's early days to confirm that it lasts, but compared to the atrocious bodge that had been done before, it is now a factory looking seal. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My seal on the drivers side has been coming away for some time now and I was wondering what the best fix would be!

May give this a go then thanks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts