BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is one of my first posts here, I am having an issue with my drivers side window. The motor works fine from what i can hear but it grinds and the window doesnt move so im wondering, before i start investigating, if anyone would know what the issue could be so i dont end up buying parts that are unnecessary.

All help would be amazing

The car is 99 E46 328I 4 door.

·
5,877 Posts
The wire that moves the window up and down is fraying as it enters the motor and this is causing the grating sound.
Its new window regulator time im afraid.
But the motor will be fine,its just the regulator wire is fraying.
When you get this replaced,make damn sure you reseal the vapour barrier properly as you will fix
the window but then find water is getting in and wetting the carpet.
And DO NOT buy the very cheap regulators off ebay.Trust me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought a Valeo one - even that one was no where near the quality of the OE product
The wire that moves the window up and down is fraying as it enters the motor and this is causing the grating sound.
Its new window regulator time im afraid.
But the motor will be fine,its just the regulator wire is fraying.
When you get this replaced,make damn sure you reseal the vapour barrier properly as you will fix
the window but then find water is getting in and wetting the carpet.
And DO NOT buy the very cheap regulators off ebay.Trust me.
Thanks guys will look into it not too fussed at the moment just nice to know what it's likely to be. Is it a difficult job to do?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not really

just take care with the door airbag (battery off whilst disconnecting the air bag and if you dont want a fault code, air bag connected when turning the ignition on to lower/raise the window mechanism and the moisture barrier which is stuck on with 10 tons of black gunge..............

·
5,877 Posts
No its not too hard but a helper at hand is usefull for holding up the glass and keeping the vapour barrier out of the way.
Disconnect the battery and hang the airbag from the top of the doorframe,no need to unplug the airbag connector.

Reactions: BimmerBilly

·
5,877 Posts

·
5,877 Posts
Yes think I remember you replying to my post last year about it, did you not send it back?
Nah,couldnt be bothered.Just got a different one and so far so good with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts