BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a thread about my E46 being crashed and the repairs.

Well i have been phoned by the garage who have completed the repairs, replacement of rear nearside wishbone and various other bits and bobs. The insurance are paying for it, which is good. However the garage have recommended I get 4 wheel alignment done incase this has been knocked out by the crash. They can't do it and have suggested BMW dealer is the best bet, I'm looking for suggestions on

A. Is it necessary at over 200 quid
B. If I don't get it done what are the signs that it needs done?

Garage have said to be on the safe side I should get it done but I may have to contribute as the rear was only affected by crash. They also said the car is now fine and driving perfectly.

Any info as always much appreciated!

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
yeah bmw charge£200....the signs that you may needit done are...uneven tyre wear..mabye your car pulling in to the left or right....you usually feel ther is sumthn not rite with your steering..in scotland ther is a franchise called farmers auto care.(fk all too do with sheep!)l.ol...this guy owned kwik fit ithink...anyway the do the same alignement fo £50..a good ndependent may charge £100..obviously they need to hav the proper set up!good luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
211 Posts
KDS wheel alignment is where the car is weighed down to achieve a determined ride height (usually with water drums or sand bags) and all aspects of the toe and camber etc are adjusted.

Scothall BMW here wanted £400 for this to be done, however if you look around you may find it allot cheaper and the independent garages may be using the Hunter machine, which is the same kit BMW use.

The alternative is to get a 4 wheel alignment done using lasers which would cost anything around £30-£50

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I would DEFINITELY advise the alignment is at least checked:thumbsup

I'd put money on it being miles out. No point in waiting for visible tyre wear as it is too late by that time. Get it in and have it inspected ASAP:thumbsup

I use Pro Tyre and I believe they are a National Company. I don't like Nationals but they are the only company locally to me that can align my car with the 20" wheels and tyres fitted:thumbsup

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found out that my n/s wishbone had been replaced 2 weeks after I bought car. by then it had scrubbed 2mm off that side (came with 2 brand new tyres).
I had 4 wheel laser alignment done by ETB, a midlands based garage similar to kwikfit/ats. It cost me £65 and I got a before and after printout of the alignment.
So far they are now wearing at similar rates now

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies, I'm getting the car back tommorrow and will get it booked in with BMW - insurance co still to agree to pay for it but I suspect with enough complaining they will pay up, having said that they have been really fast so far with the authorisation of the repairs so fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.