BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm a newbee but here goes

I have recently fitted a hardtop to my 320 m sport convertible which has been on for a little under a week. i removed it last night to find three small rub marks to the painted trim directly in front of the boot lid. firstly i'm pretty cheesed off so can anyone tell me how i can avoid this in the future after i've had the wear marks made good?? Can the hardtop be adjusted in some way so i can stop the two surfaces rubbing. is there any additional gasket i can apply to increase the gap

Any help would be most welcome.

finally...I'm in Norfolk and wondered about BMW meets in the region???

Regards

Update

I contacted my local BMW dealer and spoke with the parts manager. he viewed info on their system and was able to send me the installation details for retro fitting hard top connections. in this it details how to adjust the clearance between the top and car body. if anyone is interested, i can post the details as an attachment. this just leaves the smart repair to the trim.

Thanks to those who have offered advice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you mean the black trim in between the boot lid and the boot itself mine did the same.. rubbed it back to the silver (i only found this after removing it in March after being on all winter) Wasnt happy but only noticable when the roof is down... i just touched it in with a black marker pen... simple but it worked and now un-noticable!! .... next time i put it on will put some thin sponge over it to protect it :thumbsup ...Dont see how the hard top can be adjusted.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh... my previous post will be useless it didnt scratch that bit.... thats really annoying as already said there should be a felt padding on the hard top that makes contact with that part to protect it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same problem as G4EDW where it rubbed the black trim in between the boot lid and the boot itself back to the silver base metal.....I think that is a design flaw, but looking at your pics, it should not have damaged the paintwork beyond that black trim strip. There is some padding on the hardtop around that area to stop it rubbing the paint, so when you push those red levers in to fix the hardtop, the whole top moves downwards and makes a snug watertight contact with your body.

I was not aware that we can adjust the height that the hardtop sits on the bodyshell.....would imply to me that it would not be watertight if it were raised up slightly? Would be interesting to see that fitting guide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.