BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, just wanted to know if anyone has an after market double din fitted in their car.... if so I have heard that due to the size of the unit you have to cut or re-route the air supply to the passenger footwell? Is this true?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yes, it's true.

Depending on the exact size of the unit you chose you will have to cut into the A/C vent housing and possibly modify one of the control arms (you need to put a step in it so it clears the double DIN unit).

The best solution in the E46 is to use a touch screen monitor that connects up to a remote brain, then you don't get this issue, all you lose is the CD/DVD in the head unit itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a double din already and want to get it fitted....but i have never heard of the remote brain....is that something you need to buy extra or is it already built into the rear of the car. Sorry for the dumb reply!

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can buy systems that have a remote screen with all the electronics in a box that is fitted elsewhere in the car. The OEM BMW system is like that. The monitor is then only a few cm thick so there is no issue with hacking into the A/C ducts and levers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, so im a bit late for that then....looks like a hack is going to happen. Been quoted £150 to do it, but that also includes fitting the iPod cable and a few parts (front facia, cage and signal booster for the aerial).

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newms,

Where have you been quoted £150 ?

I'm in the same situation as you, but i'm currently looking at £250+ :(

Thanks, K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ditched the idea of fitting the double din and part exchanged it with the company I originally bought it from, Surrey Car Radio (www.scraudio.co.uk).
They took the centre console apart and showed me what had to be done - its a big job! I thought, no thanks, and done a deal on an Alpine head unit.

Plus the price began to creep up as its the labour that begins to take it toll on the cost. I think in the end it would be around the £250-£300 mark due to the amount of work thats need doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been speaking to Sextons in Reading, and besides the price of the Bezel and the Centre console to allow the move of the aircon controls, he is saying £200 to £250 now. With the current worldwide problems, i'm sure I could get the cost to £200 plus those parts and he has done this modification lots of times, so i'm not expecting any issues.

I also have a trade account with BMW, so getting the console is no problem, just trying to find a Bezel that doesn't break the bank is the real issue. Have to say the $250 one from the US, is a complete non-starter and the £100 one from Germany seems completely ludicrous to me. So, guess i'm still hunting on ebay.

Thanks for coming back to me though.

K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent got one mate....however surrey car radio supply them but I dont know how much they are selling them for.....not too expensive, as they also make them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been looking at doing this myself as well want to get the JVC KW-NX7000 but £100 for plastic (facia) seems a lot especialy when the merc fitting kit is £45.. Also not to keen on cutting up behind the dash but for the right price would make an exception lol:rofl.. any body else with any cost cutting info??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts