BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

i have an e46 convertible (52 plate) 318ci se and want to know if i can hook up my mobile to the car - i have all the buttons on the steering wheel but want to know how/if i can st it up?

does anyone know how i can do this?

i look forward to hering from you?

Dave;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Dave,

The buttons will only work if you have bluetooth fitted in the car which is not standard so you more than likely wont have it!

Will be cheaper to get a Bluetooth kit fitted, I have a Parrot MK6100 and love it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
no not on this bad boy - ive got a convertible?
Hi Dave.

Do you have any signs of previous OEM bluetooth fitment?

Slowtech and myself are currently in the process of aquiring all we need to retrofit OEM bluetooth into his 320D. I have a spare ULF that he is going to use and we are going to customise an Autoleads harness to make up our own harness that will work as per OEM. We're looking at around the £100 mark for all the bits we have acquired, including quite a few dealer OEM parts but that is excluding the ULF, which he gets for nowt. Unfortunately the ULF is the most expensive part and they are quite rare. They sometimes pop up on E-Bay but you can pay anything between £100 - £250 for one depending on what generation they are, obviously newer ones will be more expensive.

I think when Slowtech looked into getting bluetooth for his car he said it was roughley around the £100 mark for a Parrot kit and adopter to utilise the MFSW and I suggested we may be able to do the OEM retrofit for roughley the same as he can have my old ULF. The benefits are there will be no ugly aftermarket boxes stuck to his dash and everything will run through his headunit and MSFW.

We will do a Bluetooth Retrofit for Dummies whilst we are doing it, so if yourself or anyone is interested it should be along in the next month or so, time permitting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you press and hold the telephone button on the wheel, you should go into pairing mode. If it doesn't happen, then no bluetooth buddy :thumbsup

The telephone button on the steering wheel is only for accepting/cancelling calls, last number dial and voice activation, it will not pair the phones.

Only the pairing button on the telephone eject box which is located next to the handbrake (If Dave has one) will pair the phone with car. If no eject box for phone is located next to handbrake then it's likely no OEM bluetooth is installed.

You can check underneath where the eject box locates (where the sliding compartment or cup holders is) for any wires that would connect to an eject box, if they are there they will be tucked away at the back of the centre console. Dave can also check in the boot to see if there's a ULF module in there, not sure where they are on verts but a quick search should find the right location, which is usually on the left hand side of the boot behind the carpet panels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tend to disagree...I could do it on my car.
Disagree by all means, but I don't know of anyone who has been able to pair the phone using the steering wheel button, including myself. Believe me, I've tried till I was blue in the face and is the reason why I kept my eject box as that was the only way to pair any future phones I may need to pair.

I was told you can buy a pairing button to replace the one in the eject box so you could discard it and use cupholders/sliding compartment in it's place, but was informed by BMW that the part number was only available in the USA.

As per Bluetooth manual, albeit the USA version I don't have access at work as mine is at home.

A stand-alone send/receive or pairing button is supplied for the 3 Series in
order to retain the cup holders. The button provides the same function as the
send/receive button on the steering wheel, plus is the button that must be
depressed to activate the pairing procedure between the phone and the control module

·
Registered
880 Posts
Neal, would that be an E90 with configurable wheel buttons?

On the E39/E46/E53 etc. only the pairing button will initiate pairing if you hold it while turning the ignition on. You can also send an iBus message to enter pairing mode, so you don't actually NEED a button at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neal, would that be an E90 with configurable wheel buttons?

On the E39/E46/E53 etc. only the pairing button will initiate pairing if you hold it while turning the ignition on. You can also send an iBus message to enter pairing mode, so you don't actually NEED a button at all.
No Richard mate...was on my old E46...but, I had it re-progged a few times though :confused

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems to hae sparked off some debate - but thanks for the advice guys - ill have a route around but im not sure i have this eject box on the centre console??? il look?

where will it be exactly if it is there? and what does it look like?

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Niel - Im pretty sure i dont have this but il have a look - i dont think they come as standard on a 52 plate E46 convertible? although i do have a fully loaded package?

Its just wierd that they have put the button on my steering wheel if i can use it?

Thanks anyway guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Niel - Im pretty sure i dont have this but il have a look - i dont think they come as standard on a 52 plate E46 convertible? although i do have a fully loaded package?

Its just wierd that they have put the button on my steering wheel if i can use it?

Thanks anyway guys
Bluetooth was an optional extra so if you haven't got the eject box it's doubtful you have bluetooth.

The sad thing was, most of the E46's in the USA were pre wired for the bluetooth so it was just a matter of sourcing the parts and connecting them up. Unfortunately, we have to source the harness or make one up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your help guys - there is definetly no eject box on the car - (RUBBISH)

so it looks like im getting a parrot (for my hand free that is - not an actual bird)

cheers anyway

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get the Parrot MK6100 kit, you can pick them up for about £90 now on flebay, It is a really really good piece of kit, I bought a A2DP adaptor that goes into the bottom of my Ipod for about a tenner and it streams all of the music on my Ipod through the car kit and you can change tracks with the wireless control you have on the steering wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.