BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system works perfectly except that it will not play disc No.6. Message always NO DISC. Is this most likely to be the changer mechanism of magazine problem? both look OK visually.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,484 Posts
Interesting because the discs all line up on the magazine, have you inspected th magazine to se it opens up each slot easily? Any dust or crap that can be cleared on slot number six?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I bought this car with the changer jammed, removed and opened up the unit and found one disc stuck part-way in the mechanism, the remainder still in the magazine. I checked the magazine for any kind of misalignment or dirt and all seems OK. Tried playing the remaining records and all either stopped then restarted or stopped completely but it was possible to change discs with the selector buttons. I suspected that the jamming had occurred due to confusion of digital signals arising from surface damage on the jammed disc. I went into the box again, saw that the selector mechanism was operating so cleaned the laser lens with isopropyl alcohol and refitted one of the four rubber suspension mountings which had not been properly located. On refitting the unit the reproduction was greatly improved and the start/stop fault had gone but it now only recognises 5 discs. Perhaps the magazine is not the original OEM item? I believe there are cheaper 'universal mags.' available although the car reg is written (in ballpoint pen) on the magazine label.
Oh, I sent the 6 discs back to the previous keeper on the V5 document. The lady was very pleased to receive them. Thanks again for coming back on this.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,484 Posts
Well if the 5 cds worked tis is not a laser isue and you didnt need to clean it.

I think this sounds like a mechanical fault in the magazine, there is no difference between reading any of the discs the laser will see them all, the issue is,the disc has to move to get in sight of the laser. this suggests a jamming issue somewhere.

Try taking the mag out, clean what you can see, plonk it into a bowl of water with soap, move the trays in and out, leave it to dissolve any dirt, simply leave it for 24 hours in the soapy solution and then leave it to dry thoroughly. then try again. Dont rush the trying again as you don't want to leave water in your system. If this fails, perhaps a mechanical issue is in the rest of the equipment. This may involve taking halve your boot apart...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for your response. Sorry, for complicating the issue and I can see that I have only confused by mentioning the other problems with the unit. I quite agree that there is no direct connection between the laser and the limited selection of discs. I mentioned it only because I have already had the unit out of the car 3 times in order to open it up and free the original jammed disc. Following this it played with frequent stops and starts which made me suspect the read out of digital signals hence the attention to the laser lens.Since then the unit has worked very well except for channel 6. Since the operation of selection is only possible with the unit installed I can just see that the playing platform is moved up to its limit by selecting channel 6 but it seems that it is not precisely aligned to the No.6 tray of the magazine. Thanks again for your help. I will try the full wash and scrub of the magazine and if that does not work I will just have to settle for it as a 5 disc changer. I can't face getting into the box for a fourth time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. My CD dash display says no magazine however cassette remains jammed in boot with 6 discs insitu. No joy pressing eject button on this 02 plate 330 coupe. Any thoughts/advice on how i should remove/fix it ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go into the boot, left hand side where the magazine is and forcibly remove it, preferably without breaking stuff. Might be a good idea to start by applying minimal force while someone else presses eject .. maybe slide a spatula or something under the magazine to apply pressure evenly .. ;)

In a Renault I had there was a proper manual method of ejection involving a small screwdriver to move a tab, releasing the mechanism, I don't know if there's such a method for a BMW system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
Your indicator message was the same as mine - I tried all the forcing,knocking thing but in the end had to get at the machine. Assuming your boot is the same as mine (02), here goes. the beginning is the hardest bit.
First you have to remove the lining. Four retainer buttons have to come out. Don't know whether you have met these things before and there are two different designs but both have a spreading plunger down the middle. For most of them (and start at the easiest one above the machine flap) if you don't have a BMW tool for their removal get a fairly wide and thin flat screwdriver (or rigid TABLE knife) and start levering the stud up from a few angles .When it is out by a couple of millimetres you should be able to look under the top grey bit and see that it is the centre plunger forced into the main plug holding in the trim panel. You will need to lift this plunger out in order to pull the main plug out. you can probably get between these two parts with a knife just to begin separating them. I used a pair of long needle -nosed pliers to get between them then gradually push the pliers into the gap until the plunger pops out and the plug is easily lifted out. Another improvised tool I used for the purpose was an expendable table fork with the two middle prongs bent back, slightly separated then pushed as before until the plunger pops out.
You will need to remove all these including the one in the middle at the back and any holding in the fire extinguisher and triangle if fitted. empty the boot of all bits an pull out the base which overlaps the trim. CAREFULLY pull the trim away from the back left corner and start pulling it back. if it is like my 325 the trim will bend quite easily at the corner after the machine housing. Using an 8mm spanner remove the unit forwards until the two cables are visible and can be pulled straight out, sideways.(may be a bit stuck with age but it's a straight pull.)
Next bit (unless the stuck disc is released by the pulling around can take a while but it's not too bad with a bit of foreknowledge! Keep screws carefully and together. Remove the two mounting brackets - they are interchangeable.Remove 6 screws (3 either side of the top can and 2 on the cable entry. Be careful of the ribbon cable attachment. It fits into a rather strange clip but is easily refitted if it comes out. Next and a bit time consuming- disengage the indented fixing tabs on front and back of the unit - smallish screwdriver to push in release buttons ant the can should feel loose. The next bit took me a while to work our but you should be able to pull the sides of the can apart to lift them over protruding components inside. You may have to fiddle for yourself at this stage.There are various ways to release the offending disc - try first to push a flat spatula or similar into the gap under the laser assembly - there is a tab sticking ou there. Otherwise it should be easy to access the stuck tray and withdraw it. Job done.
Note: take care when refitting the can. Check first that the plastic squares at either end have the littlesilve peg in the corresponding holes - the top ones. these are set for horizontal mounting of the unit in the car. Suggest you sit the reconnected unit on a box or something and try it out from your seat before remounting it. If all ok suggest you carefully clean the surface of all discs, starting with the one that got stuck. Messed up digital tracks can confuse the laser player which can stop operating without knowing what to do next. That is probably what causes discs to 'apparently jam'
Good luck
Scroop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts