BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

firstly I have searched around but cannot seem to find anybody else with a similar issue to my own. I also seen Koola's post recently about being locked out, but my problem is I cannot lock the car.

Car is a 2000 E46, convertible, 330ci (UK). I have owned for about a year, remote key FOB has never worked (and I only have one key) I have always used the key in the door which has worked fine up until yesterday.

When I locked the car yesterday, my key seemed to become stuck in the lock, and I had to fiddle for about 30 seconds before it came out.

This morning, my key would not unlock the car, but fiddling allowed all the windows to lower and I was able to open the door by the internal door latch.

The doors will still lock and unlock with the centre console button when I am in the car.

The problem I have is that I can no longer lock the car with the Key FOB or the key in the door.

My Key still works in the boot.

I have tried to reset the key fob with the methods posted but it seems like the battery might be dead as I get no respose.

I have read it might be the actuator in the door - but is this the answer?

I need some advice. I have not yet been to the stealers, and would like to know if there are any other tests I can do to diagnose the problem.

This is probaly the ideal time to get the key FOB working again.

Yours hopefully
Domestos

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Domestos, I feel your pain.

There is a nice tutorial here for replacing the battery and re-programming the key albit with a little bit of hacking.

If you can get the key working, you can then look into the manual door lock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been to the stealers...

They reckon my door-Barrell has gone. I can turn the key fully each way without any results. But the button inside locks and opens the door. My keyFOB has lost bettery power so resetting didnt work :(

A new barrel would be £45 plus labour to fit it £60

A new KeyFOB would be £100 and they will set it to my car and ignition.

Its a close one but I think I will be going for the new KeyFOB.

I can then try that self fix keyFOB sticky on my old key - would be interesting to see if it works.

At least with the Barrell gone no two-bit can screwdriver thier way through the door... makes it more secure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barrel is reasonable, but £100 smackers for a keyFOB ! thats a rip off and a money making scheme as the parts guy said the keys generally last 3 to 4 years and then need to be replaced.

If thats the case they are making a money left right and centre for key replacements!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've bought the KeyFOB, being delivered tomorrow - I'm just hoping that there is no issue with the receiver as they will not refund the key cost if it does not work!

The receiver is about £160 plud labour to fit and configure. so I bet were looking about £250 -

·
Registered
2 Posts
You've probably figured this out by now but here goes. You can remove the lock barrel there's a rubber gromet type cover on the inner edge of the drivers door adjacent ish to the door handle . when you remove that and peer inside you should see a hex bolt head, this hods the lock barrel in place and once undone (on mine anyway-having exactly the same problem) the barrel can be pulled out, simples.. With mine a ring inside the barrel had snapped so I also need a new one.

Now i'm off for some advice on the rest of it..

regards

NM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.