BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 330d e90, 2008 M3 e92
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
I've got a 2001 330d manual with 190,000 miles, the gearstick is getting rather slack! So I'm looking into changing the various bushes, looking at this page I potentially need to change bushes 5, 2(x2), 12 & 7, although I'll have a look 1st to see what is actually worn.

What's involved in getting to the gearstick bushes on e46s generally? Is it as straightforward as just removing the ctr console??

As well as fixing it for my own use I wanted it sorted as I'm selling it soon, & I don't want anything easily fixed detracting from it's overall feel ;).

Cheers
Mark

[edit]
Ok I did a little googling & found out I'll have to access it from underneath, damn :p.
Anyway, any further info still welcomed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi folks
I've got a 2001 330d manual with 190,000 miles, the gearstick is getting rather slack! So I'm looking into changing the various bushes, looking at this page I potentially need to change bushes 5, 2(x2) & 7, although I'll have a look 1st to see what is actually worn.

What's involved in getting to the gearstick bushes on e46s generally? Is it as straightforward as just removing the ctr console??

As well as fixing it for my own use I wanted it sorted as I'm selling it soon, & I don't want anything easily fixed detracting from it's overall feel ;).

Cheers
Mark
Having stripped a manual, you will need to get under the car.
Fiddly job.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, will I need to take the exhaust & prop off?

Which model did you work on?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok thanks, will I need to take the exhaust & prop off?

Which model did you work on?
To do the Bush at the rear you will have to remove the exhaust and heatshield, I'm sure you can work around the prop. I believe as it's pretty much over the prop shaft and you can't get to it because heatshield is in the way. It's a very fiddly job and you will love it ;)

You may find it helpful to remove the gearbox mounting and rest the box on a jack or something to provide a bit of room.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=900208#/topics/900208

This diy says remove prop but I'm sure you can do it without, but it's only 3 bolts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I bet I will love it! :p ;)

Thanks for the help, that thread is very good! :)
I can see now it ain't a 15 minute job!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Err ATF in a manual gearbox is not a good idea! The oil is too thin, that & these boxes weren't designed for it.

Anyway, done the bushes on my car now, & yes the change feels much better, more snug :).
I changed the gearbox oil in my car last year (2nd time since I've had it), I was surprised that I could feel the change was a little lighter :)

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
just my bush changed..ooohhh errrr..indy charged me £50 but that was for 2 tyres fitted also,,very pleased,,although he just used a bush from a z3 or z4 he had at his place,,his son is always building weird cars and has a few..his latest is a ford fairlane...he removed the whole gearstick assembly and showed me via photo..saved ordering a new bush at a whopping £7 ha ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.