BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is my DIY for removing the steering wheel trim and wrapping it in vinyl

This guide can be used for removal of the trim for any reason, painting or changing trim etc.

So this is in two parts, 1: trim removal and 2: wrapping

This is the first thing i have wrapped in vinyl, and it was surprisingly easy and im not the best with crafty type things lol

Part 1:

Tools:
  • two longish thin screw drivers
  • torq driver (#20)
  • a mate to help
First thing DISCONNECT THE -VE OF THE BATTERY as you will be poking around the air bag

with you two long screw drivers if you look either side of the steering wheel you will see two little round holes with
a rubber cover on. The rubber cover has a slit in it:

so you want to get both screwdrives in at the same time (one each side) like this, but obviously behind the steering wheel

if you use the screwdrivers to feel inside you are trying to squeeze both of the retaining springs together to pop the air-bag out
the springs are circled red:

it is really fiddly but once you find the spring you will know you have found it, So once you have them both pressed in, this is where
your mate comes in, he needs to grab the airbag and pull it out, so easy my mum helped me lol

So now you have your air bag out you DONT have to unplug it, pop it up on the top of the steering wheel

There are 4 torq screws and clips holding the trim inside, two are on the bottom spoke at the back of the wheel (they are captive) and the other two are inside behind where
the airbag came from, shown here circled in blue clips are circled in yellow:

This is the screw you want, the other one is opposite it:

Once all four have been removed the trim just pulls foward off of the wheel, the airbag fits through the whole in the center of the trim

as you pull the trim away you can see the plug for the buttons on the trim, pull the plug out

So now your trim is off, flip it over and there are 4 torqscrew undo them and the two pieces will sperate:

And thats it,

Part 2:

Tools:
Vinyl (i used 3m DI NOC)
sharpe knife
credit card
Glue
Craft board
Hair dryer

I got my vinyl from ebay was very cheap, like £3 and enough to do 2 steering wheels

The vinly looks like the carbon cube from the sport and has a cf feel to it:

So now the trim has been split, i removed the \\M badge

I cut the vinyl to a square a bit biger than the trim, i pulled the backing off layed the vinyl over the trim and smothed out roughly
with the credit card, starting from the middle with the hair dryer head the vinyl and streech it out

its really easy to do and air bubles pull out easy, it streaches arround the trim and the heat makes it very flexable and streachy

cut all the excess off and trim allong the edges of the trim, leaving:

Screw the two pices back together and glue the \\m badge back in:

So now this can be put back in the car in the reverse of how it came out

Here is a before and after:

Thanks for looking, Hope this helps someone :thumbsup

If this helps you please 'THANK'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great guide on the steering wheel. I got some silver 3m vinyl carbon and did the trims on the dashboard. I have the black cube trim in my convertible and wanted to break up the swathe of blackness that is a BMW dashboard so I thought this would be a nice touch. I've left the gear stick surround and door handles black cube as it might look too much otherwise. I also put chrome rings in the speedo clocks to further break up the black and I'm happy with it now.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great guide on the steering wheel. I got some silver 3m vinyl carbon and did the trims on the dashboard. I have the black cube trim in my convertible and wanted to break up the swathe of blackness that is a BMW dashboard so I thought this would be a nice touch. I've left the gear stick surround and door handles black cube as it might look too much otherwise. I also put chrome rings in the speedo clocks to further break up the black and I'm happy with it now.
Nice one

I used the guide few weeks ago, cheers !
Im glad it helped :thumbsup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Firstly, great DIY.

2 questions, one how did you get links to work in your sig? mine don't... says URL tag is not allowed..

Second the wrap, where did you buy it from? are there other styles?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firstly, great DIY.

2 questions, one how did you get links to work in your sig? mine don't... says URL tag is not allowed..

Second the wrap, where did you buy it from? are there other styles?
Only mods can add links in your sig, to stop advertising, you can pm one of them and ask for them to put one in for you :thumbsup

i got the vinyl wrap from ebay, its relativly cheap, the stuff i used is '3m Di-noc'
you can get di-noc in other varities of carbon, but the one i got best matches the oem carbon cube,

you can also get vinyl wrap in more or less any colour you want

the 3m gear is the best imo because it has little holes in so you dont get air bubbles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very useful guide, I just wanted to know if someone has done this with a matte black vinyl in order to re-trim steering wheels trim were the plastic is peeling off (common on E60's). Also where can I buy some vinyl that has the closest colour to the bmw finish on the top part of the steering wheel (Next to the multi functions buttons)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
great guide sam!! - at least your ///M steering wheel badge is glued on.. E36/E39 ///M badges clip securely in place with 2 prongs and getting them fitted/clipped in place is an absolute ball ache! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Sam

Noticed your ashtray/sunglasses compartments are mint. Have you replaced them or have you just kept them in good condition?

Broshurst

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great guide sam!! - at least your ///M steering wheel badge is glued on.. E36/E39 ///M badges clip securely in place with 2 prongs and getting them fitted/clipped in place is an absolute ball ache! :)
I know, that is very fortunate, makes it a hell of a lot easier :thumbsup

Hi Sam

Noticed your ashtray/sunglasses compartments are mint. Have you replaced them or have you just kept them in good condition?

Broshurst
ummmmm, i havent replaced them, and i dont do anything in particular to them to keep them like that, just dust and spray with cleaner occasionally

Most of the trim inside the car is in very good condition,

·
Registered
57 Posts
very handy, especially the bit with the air bag

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can i just ask why you didnt do the top of the steering wheel too???????????
didnt want too lol

i thought it would be too much having the whole thing in cf, so just went for half and half

1 - 20 of 24 Posts