BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is an e46, 2004, 320cd, manual.

Due in part to improve handling balance and grip and part to improve the asthetic (rears look espesially "sunken" within the arches)...

I would like to replacing the stock 17" (7J?) rims (fitted as stock with 205 50 R17 tyres) with larger rims and tyres.

Option 1. I'm thinking of either going to 18" 7.5J/8.0J fronts (with 225's) & 18" 8.0J/8.5J (with 255's) rears..

<or>

Option 2. Leaving front and rear on 17" rims, leaving the fronts with 205 50 R17 tyres and spacing the rears out and fitting 225 45 R17 tyres.

Questions:

• What size are the standard rims for this car? (7J?)
  • If I were to upgrade to 18" rims what size (J) would you recommend (f/r)?
  • What size tyres would you fit for the above?
  • If I were to go with my 2nd option, what spacing would you go with if I were to fit 225 tyres?
  • What other options should I look at?

(I've also just posted a thread relating to tyre pressure monitoring which relates to this thread - I'm planning on replacing the run flats with standard tyres as part of the above and would like to keep the pressure monitoring system).

Cheers
J

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Car is an e46, 2004, 320cd, manual.

Due in part to improve handling balance and grip and part to improve the asthetic (rears look espesially "sunken" within the arches)...

I would like to replacing the stock 17" (7J?) rims (fitted as stock with 205 50 R17 tyres) with larger rims and tyres.

Option 1. I'm thinking of either going to 18" 7.5J/8.0J fronts (with 225's) & 18" 8.0J/8.5J (with 255's) rears..

<or>

Option 2. Leaving front and rear on 17" rims, leaving the fronts with 205 50 R17 tyres and spacing the rears out and fitting 225 45 R17 tyres.

Questions:

• What size are the standard rims for this car? (7J?)
  • If I were to upgrade to 18" rims what size (J) would you recommend (f/r)?
  • What size tyres would you fit for the above?
  • If I were to go with my 2nd option, what spacing would you go with if I were to fit 225 tyres?
  • What other options should I look at?

(I've also just posted a thread relating to tyre pressure monitoring which relates to this thread - I'm planning on replacing the run flats with standard tyres as part of the above and would like to keep the pressure monitoring system).

Cheers
J
The width of the wheel will be stamped into the rear (inside) of the wheel regardless of it being genuine or after market

The best route is the one you are considering with upgrading to 18". The widths of the wheels will depend on what style you choose and what offset they are available in... Any good wheel distributor will be able to supply you with a wheel to that suits your requirements.

225/40 18 front and 255/35 18 rear is correct.

Forget spacing, if it's worth doing then it's worth doing correctly. Spacers will cause more grief than they are worth:thumbsup

Hope I've answered your questions and given you a push in the right direction:cool

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the experienced push in the right direction :)

..I've seen some nice 18" 'ers on Rochford's website. As soon as the current tyres have worn out I'm going to go for a replacement set. As the pressure sensor works on the abs system I don't have to worry about sensors. I'll also be taking the oppourtunity to abandon run-flats and buy a spare (there is already a jack in the boot and a recess for the spare). If all goes to plan, the bigger wheels and tyres will be compensated for, in terms of ride quality, by fitting "normal" tyres!

J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.