BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing the air filter on my 2000 318i and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions as to which one to buy. Or, is it worth putting on an induction kit or something similar - in which case, again any recommendations?

I'm not expecting any gains in performance / economy, (although it would be nice!) but would like to fit a decent quality product.

Ta!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
If truth be known, you will not see any gains:frown

The best application would be a panel filter upgrade, however there are kits on the market that use an induction kit that is supplied with a surround that shields the filter form the heat of the engine bay. Induction kits are useless if subject to warm air:frown

I have purchased a Dave F filter for my 3.0litre Motorsport conversion that I have not yet fitted. I look forward to fitting it one day and posting back reports:thumbsup

·
Registered
271 Posts
Flow bench results from the air box on my Toyota show it needs a few internal mods for the best results. With out seeing your BMW box its hard to say a lot. But smooth and clean, gentle curves etc all aid good flow. No high spots or protrusions that turbulate the air etc.
The results of this where, intake temps where typically 10 degrees lower than with an induction kit/cone sat in the engine bay. Flow will be better with induction kit though so results on a dyno would be close. Colder is better for engine safety.

CDA kits are a great theory, but the pipe they give you with the kits is the very worst possible shape for air flow. It is a ribbed flexi stuff. Not good. Swap the pipe for smooth flexi and your away! Be sure its none collapsing for use in a vacuum though, or the engine will suck it flat and starve of air. If you can, get alloy hard pipes made up and use Samco joiners.
If you do fit a cone filter they do not filter the air very well, not like a standard filter. Green are about the best for fine particle removal, and a universal one is cheap as chips :) Be sure to build it into a cold air box and feed it with cold air.

Also, if you buy a foam filter be sure it has a metal cage/Skeleton inside, I have seen many foam filters sucked into the engine, like the older ITG ones for example.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.