BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv got a convertible 330ci 2001 automatic and I was driving on the dual carridgeway and I heard a loud rubbing noise coming from what seemed to be the passangers side footwell. It got louder and louder until suddenly there was a Big Bang and something came flying off the bottom of the engine and my car was smoking from the rear. I lost power steering and the red oil light came on I thought that it must have been the exhaust but when I stopped the car and opened the bonnet the smoke was pouring from the engine. All my oil drained out and my coolant also. Any idea what has happemed?

·
Registered
148 Posts
It could be that the power steering pipe has blown, as for red oil light you will need to look under the car to see if anything has come adrift or the engine just cut out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to pull over and get a tow truck. It's in the garage but they can't look at it till Monday. Has anyone got any idea what could of fallen off the engine so that the oil and water drained?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
crack in engine, i was following a L200 crew cab a few weeks ago and the engine let go was a cloud of mist(oil) as soon as it went i slowed down ,then a chunk of metal hit my windscreen ,still got a scratch from it,dont know how it didnt shatter,i was in a hurry and couldnt be bothered to stop and say to the driver who had pulled into a layby that he had shwered my car with oil,i got home and cleaned car thorougherly

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Agree with payno sounds like classic rod through the block

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I've had diesels that have done 300000 miles with less agro or wear caused to them than this.
Hope you get it fixed soon
Chocolate eclair
Hehee
That's not remarkable, there 300,00 mile E46 M3s out there, there was an E36 325 with 425,000 on ebay a while back.

Sometimes things just brake. If you keep driving with a knocking big end it always ends up with a big bill

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
this sounds like a con rod has let loose and punched through the engine block
if it has you will need a good used engine
brings back memories of how i ruined my 1st ever car my white 205 pug gti coming back from a rave in milton keynes on M1 then boom no power managed to carry the momentum of the rolling car to the service station watford gap i was luckily approaching waited for RAC in vain to tell me conrod had gone through the bottom, man i loved that car....bye bye gti

i was 18yr old at the time knew nothing about cars me thinks i probably should have topped up my coolant/oil abit sooner looking back now as i had it 2yrs and never touched either...oi nutter

Meant to say 3000000
Chocolate eclair body work and block
Hehee
you do chat some rubbish she he ,go on tell us how great your barge is how it beats M3's and M5's and how its the best solid bmw to roll of the production line..............hahahahahahahaha mrs she he whatever

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds like it's went the way of my Ford Focus, my second car. I was naïve back then when it came to cars, a happy little teenager with no mechanical sympathy or any appreciation of maintenance. I had no idea that older cars consume larger amounts of oil (or even that engines consumed any amount of oil) so I neglected to check oil levels regularly or even do an oil change in the 1.5 years that I had it (was probably 2 years since anyone had put any oil in their). It was boxing day 2004 when the engine blew up, I was pulling off my dad's drive (which joins straight onto a country road (national SL) and I was cocky enough to pull onto the road and pick my speed up really quickly before a van met with my back end, revving it to the red line between gears. There was snow on the sides of the road, it was 11pm and freezing cold, the engine was likely to have been a block of ice and I ragged it. There was bound to be loads of noises coming from the engine but I had my music blasting so we'll never know. Half way home, lost all power and there was a big cloud of smoke behind me. As I was grinding to a halt, I took another look at the cloud through my mirror and noticed bits of metal tumbling down the road and hitting the bar behind. Stopped, lifted the bonnet and once the ploomb of smoke dissipated, I could clearly see the big end sticking out the side of the crank case. Ouch.

Obviously, I've done some growing up since then.

So yeah, did you rag it from cold with no oil left in the sump?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts